Window Hardware

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wa4jr

Window Hardware

Post by wa4jr »

Just thought I would pass on a neat trick I found for replacing a worn hinge pin in the window opening hardware on my new '54. The old pin, with "expanded" low profile terminations had worn out and was flopping around in the yoke bracket that is attached to the door. A machine screw would have worked nice, but there was no room for the head and nut. I found that a standard aluminum binding post in a 5/8" length worked just fine :D These are binding posts used to bind notebook paper, and they have very low profile terminations on each end which allow the window closing lever to fully nest over the complete assembly when the window is closed. The binding post is slightly larger that the original pin, which was just fine as it let me drill out the fittings and close the tolerances for a more "tightly" working mechanism :wink:
I found my binding posts at the corner hardware store in the specialty fastner section for a whopping 45 cents :)
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yes, and they are also available in a variety of lengths at office supply houses, stationers, etc.
rmpatt

Re: Window Hardware

Post by rmpatt »

U am trying to imagine the solution you describe. Do you have any pictures?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

hardware store binding posts and screws
hardware store binding posts and screws
image.jpg (7.98 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
Place a "dab" of RTV / Silicone on the screwthreads to prevent loosening from vibration.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

One caution is you use these post - they are made of very soft aluminum so will wear out rather quickly. Carry some spares.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Fortunately they are in a very low stress function. Mine are now 7 years old and showing no wear.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rmpatt

Post by rmpatt »

Ah, I get it now. Nice idea. Thanks.