What did you buy for your 170 today?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ryan Smith

Re: What did you buy for your 170 today?

Post by Ryan Smith »

If he can keep his pension, that may not be a bad gig. Work 30 minutes and be eligible for retirement.
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I'm sure if you fly around after removing your headliner or carpet after failing to document the change, he will be by to keep you company.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I think this just became appropriate

http://www.rst-engr.com/rst/articles/tsodpencil.pdf
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The FAA wrote:This post is to notify board members that we have ben made aware of this thread and will be monitoring it's progression accordingly.
Good One, Ryan! (Don't forget...us moderators know who you really are!) :twisted:

David, ... the airplane was originally produced by Cessna in accordance with certain, approved specifications that all 170s must meet. This was governed by such things as a Type Certificate Data Sheet, along with other specifications described in "Production Certificates" and also documented in "Cessna Commercial Airplane Specifications". The "Commercial Airplane Specifications" were quite detailed and included such information as to exactly which part of the airplane was painted and what color. (For example, the end-ribs of the horiz stab as well as the counterweight ribs and nose-fairing of the left/right elevagtors (and other specified items) would be painted "gull grey", same as the landing gear and certain other specified parts. The commercial specifications were very detailed, even to the point of describing interior appointments, colors, materials and methods of attachment. The original interiors were included in the Commercial data which were supplements to the Production Certificates and helped to define what exactly constituted a Cessna 170.

Typical examples of production airplanes were weighed and averaged to develop a "representative" wt/bal sheet in accordance with the basic equipment list as defined by FARs which described required equipment for VFR flight. Any addt'l equipment would be listed separately and identified with the particular airframe serial and registration. This is what was provided each new owner.

IF that new owner removed the headliner, ....the correct action would be to weigh the materials and determine the average ARM for the removed item, and log it to the revised wt/bal.

Hope that helps explain the process.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Having run a few phpBB forums myself, I figured you geezers would catch on pretty quick. :lol:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ryan Smith wrote:Having run a few phpBB forums myself, I figured you geezers would catch on pretty quick. :lol:
VEERRRY INTERESTING! Yew know...Ve haf vayys of makink yew talk!
VEERRRYYY  INTERESTING!
VEERRRYYY INTERESTING!
untitled (2).png (65.38 KiB) Viewed 37552 times
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

gahorn wrote: IF that new owner removed the headliner, ....the correct action would be to weigh the materials and determine the average ARM for the removed item, and log it to the revised wt/bal.

Hope that helps explain the process.
Which is exactly what I said I was going to DO several posts ago.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yes, well...my previous post wasn't intended to explain that revision-process... It was to explain how/why a headliner is standard equipment without being listed in the equipment list.

(I never doubted you.) :wink:

(But it does remind me that I removed my hat shelf ten years ago and never logged it.) :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I installed a hat shelf last year and didn't log it so the nominal weight and balance change across the fleet is negligible 8O
RickG

Post by RickG »

Aryana wrote:Curtis, please tell us how you like those LED daytime strobes after you install them. I've been waiting for someone to buy a set. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/el/ ... extant.php
Wanted to pass along there is an alternative to these NavStrobe Sextant bulbs which Spruce has started to sell.

Some might recall from George's early research into the LED nav bulbs that PSA Trimcraft was one of the first to offer replacement bulbs through Spruce ... before NavStrobe Lighting became the "rage." As you may know one of the concerns folks have raised (on various boards) about NavStrobe Lighting's solution (whether the brighter Sextant line, or their original bulbs) is how they operate in strobe mode (ie the bulb is "dark" between strobes ... which means for a short moment you do not have an active nav light or tail light if you are also using their tail fin bulb).

Don't want to open Pandora's box with that discussion but I did want to mention PSA Trimcraft (now PSA Enterprises) has come out with a new "paddle" LED replacement bulb. It does not strobe but is much brighter than their original (there are a couple of videos on YouTube). In addition, they have a new tail fin / beacon bulb that strobes and stays on in between flashes. Cost for all 3 is less than the Sextant solution and in the long run would be my choice if you were going to spend $ on this type of solution. Link to their items are below:

PSA Enterprises LED Replacement Paddle Lamps
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... ckkey=6357

PSA Enterprises LED Tail / Beacon Replacement Lamp
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... ckkey=6357
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I don't know.... Paying $75 instead of $17 for the same result... that's a tough call....
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

If you didn't already have strobes, the flashing nav lights would be a cost effective additional way to make yourself more visible.

But they wouldn't be a legal replacement for your beacon.
fishdoc

Post by fishdoc »

Took the good advise from this forum and ordered the Brown's aircraft window seals.
This should keep my back seat passenger a little warmer as the windows have been letting in quite a bit of air flow.
Also got a 170 screw kit, a couple gas cap gaskets and a couple valve cover gaskets.
All set to do the annual now....
1952 170B (with the sexy rounded tail)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Had these installed at the annual. The old Par 36 taxi lights were very weak and yellow and not very effective as pulse-lights. The Aeroleds were only installed on the taxi position and tied in with the pulse-lights. I'm happy with the incandescent landing lights. I am very satisfied with the performance of the Aeroled taxi lights.

Pictures are of standard incandescent par36 landing lights and AeroLED Sunspot 36 LX taxi lights at 65 feet. The tailwheel was jacked up about 18” to get the landing lights onto the adjacent hangar. The plane has right wing and left wing landing and taxi lights installed by Del Lehman at Mountain Airframe in Mena, AR.

It’s my opinion incandescent landing lights penetrate further than LED landing lights and I like the color of the incandescent light more than the LED. LED taxi lights look brighter as seen from another airplane and draw much less current allowing continuous operation of the pulse-lights and they work just fine for taxiing.

Aeroled taxi lights
Aeroled taxi lights
Incandescent landing/left, Aeroled LED taxi/right
Incandescent landing/left, Aeroled LED taxi/right
Aeroled LED taxi lights only, 40° beam width at 65’
Aeroled LED taxi lights only, 40° beam width at 65’
Incandescent landing lights only, 10° beam width at 65’
Incandescent landing lights only, 10° beam width at 65’
Last edited by hilltop170 on Fri May 04, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Started the sound proofing. Its not a difficult job. Measure once buy twice as much as you need.

Since I wont be putting the headliner in until after the motor swap this winter, I decided to paint the unseen bits the trim color.
roof1.jpg
Not done with the wiring. Need to add some chafe guard in a few spots and finish tying it up.
roof2.jpg