New (to me) 170B Questions

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rmpatt

New (to me) 170B Questions

Post by rmpatt »

I just bought a 1952 170B here in the Seattle area. A couple questions that I would appreciate any comment on:
1. I bought some salvage 170 "steps" to put on the side of the cowl (along with a handle) to make it easier to climb up to check fuel caps, etc. I am now learning that there is not an easy approval for installation of the steps on a 170. I am guessing someone out there has done this. Yes?
2. Since the upholstery is out (almost) it seems like a good time to thoroughly clean the interior, etc and then put something like ACF 50 throughout. The plane has a factory seaplane kit, and the plane has had some salt water use, so I am interested in as much prevention as possible against corrosion.
3. Tailwheel steering is lackluster…full rudder pedal deflection during taxi doesn't do much for directional control, especially if crosswind. I use brakes more than seems reasonable. Comments?
4. Any recommendation for a great C170 mechanic in the greater Seattle area (actually, the plane may live on the east side of the mountains at Twisp, WA).
Any and all comments are appreciated.
blueldr

Re: New (to me) 170B Questions

Post by blueldr »

When installing those steps and handles, just make sure you install big and strong enough doublers on the back side so that you don't distort the skins.
BL
rmpatt

Post by rmpatt »

I understand that a strong doubler should be installed with the cowl steps -- but is there any 337 or whatever to get it approved?
minton

Post by minton »

OBTW:

There are two Cessna service kits out there that address those side steps you contemplate installing. I would give them a look see (Before) tackling the project as you will need a sign off from an A&P/AI. They and you without reference Data will probably get it wrong as far as doublers and their location.
The club archives have them for downloading.

Just say'in :D
rmpatt

Post by rmpatt »

Thanks for the helpful replies.
I am a little slow on all this… so, how do I access the archives to find info on the Cessna service kits for the cowl steps? Is it in Cessna's archives, or the C170 Assn's? If in Assn's, how do I search?
Sorry for being so ill-informed…all this is fairly new to me.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Look at the main board index.
Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 6.03.27 PM-Scaled.png
See MX Library. Thats our Library. Click it and it opens to some specific areas. It's not perfect. The Service Kits or Service Bulletins can either be in under Cessna SKs, SBs and SLs or in the area more specific. We also have some things in what was our old library of 337s and such but I've taken most of the SK, SB and SL info out of there and filed it. The old library is kind of a catch all of the old stuff we haven't refilled. You just have to look around and if you can't find something ask. Chances are someone knows right where it is.

BTW you can navigate the site by looking at the top of every page you happen to be at. Here is the path for this discussion in the picture below. See it says Board index < Public Discussions < The Hanger. Clicking Board index will take you straight there.
Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 7.18.47 PM.png
Don't worry, your new. I've been doing this for 13 years.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Here is a link to a step SEB. http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... 456#p94071
It's for a 172 but then everything just about is. Your IA can reference it for the install on a 170 which is the same fuselage.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Murdock170

Post by Murdock170 »

I'm cessna 170A owner and i will doing seaplane whit the original EDO 2000
But I don't have technical specification and technical manual.
I have some dudes about the engine power
Continental 145HP is installed whit 80 inch climb prop, is good power?
I would like contact same user
I will waiting news thanks Hernan