Flexible brake line pics?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Flexible brake line pics?

Post by GAHorn »

I wasn't suggesting streamlining the line was going to give a noticeable change in speed, I was only suggesting that would be a good measure of a clean installation. But I guess we could also just leave old antennas installed, and forget about fairings, and cleaning/waxing and all those other unnecessary draggy things too, after all, it's only a square-of-velocity penalty. (Green airplanes might not benefit anyway.) :lol:

When I bought my 170 it's brakelines drooped down toward the ground and then made a 90-degree bend outward to the caliper. )see the pic below..look at the left brakeline contrasted against the dead grass.) It was UHG-GUH-LEY. And the drooping brakelines posed a hazard on turf strips as the flexible line could be hit by high grass and pull the soft aluminum tubing out of position (it being held only by the spring-clip to the gearleg.)
click to ENLARGE then click on pic again to ENLARGE AGAIN
click to ENLARGE then click on pic again to ENLARGE AGAIN
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

gahorn wrote:...... But I guess we could also just leave old antennas installed, and forget about fairings, and cleaning/waxing and all those other unnecessary draggy things too, after all, it's only a square-of-velocity penalty. (Green airplanes might not benefit anyway.) :lol:
George you must have just visited with my newest A model. Can't say it's ever been washed except for rain, has no fairings, has 6 antennas or the remanents of them. But as you say it's green so it doesn't know how to fly slow.

gahorn wrote:When I bought my 170 it's brakelines drooped down toward the ground and then made a 90-degree bend outward to the caliper.
If you think thats little flex hose loop is bad, I better get new shorter lines on mine before convention or I'll never hear the end of it.

I'll take pictures of the crosswind gear and I have a movie of it in action which I haven't posted because I want to make a better movie first.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cmsusllc

Post by cmsusllc »

George, Your old brake lines look like mine and your new lines look like what I had in mind. But it's not the GRASS I worry about, it's the SAGE BRUSH. I vividly remember ripping one off my 140 on a very short strip, talk about pucker power!
Scott.....53B
mekstrand

Post by mekstrand »

Since this post is about brake line routing....Anyone have a source handy for the Cessna 206 brake line fairing for the hard line on the gear leg?

(P/N S1511-1 Fairing Brake Line 18.75 In Long, Bulk Item Ref- S1511. -1-1875) Shown as item 9A in Fig 45 page 119 in the 1974-1976 C-206 PC.

Thanks,

Marshall
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

mekstrand wrote:Since this post is about brake line routing....Anyone have a source handy for the Cessna 206 brake line fairing for the hard line on the gear leg?

(P/N S1511-1 Fairing Brake Line 18.75 In Long, Bulk Item Ref- S1511. -1-1875) Shown as item 9A in Fig 45 page 119 in the 1974-1976 C-206 PC.

Thanks,

Marshall
According to Hill Aircraft, you may have difficulty finding it because it refers to a superceded part number. YOu can order it by description "fairing" or by "extrusion":
P580058 EXTRUSION
(List Price: $ 1.80) Stock Available $ 1.53 (FT)
Contact Us:
Parts Dept.#: 404-505-2074 | Fax#: 404-696-3922 | Toll Free#: 1-800-998-7832
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mekstrand

Post by mekstrand »

Here's what my landing gear looks like with the Cessna 206 rubber brake line fairing. Although not original, it does make for a nice installation.

Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

I am in the process of turning my brakes around to the back side of the gear leg and as part of this project I made new lines. Looking at the IPC it shows a hard line to the caliper. I thought this was odd but that is what I made. Now I find this posting, that's what I get for doing my research after the work, and it looks like most people have a flex line at the caliper end. My question is has anyone had an issue with the lines cracking due to the flexing of the gear leg and how any of any have the hard line the full length.
I haven't gone to far yet so I may make the flex line before any reads this. I would like to hear what people have to say anyway.
Attachments
gear leg right.JPG
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

Ash, that is leading edge tape that we use on the winglets of our big airplanes. It is thick tape that does a great job with nicks and scratches.
busav8or

Post by busav8or »

I had hard lines all the way to the caliper and was having issues with the line holding the caliper away from the disc on one side. I would have to pump the brakes a couple of times to "re-seat" the caliper before the brake on the left side of the plane would work. No cracks in the lines, however. At my last annual I had my IA install flexible lines to the caliper. Actually, he said he installed recently removed stainless fuel lines from a 421 as my brake lines! They work and look great! I'll show pics next time I get to the hangar. May be a few days as we're still getting a pretty good "dusting" of 6-8 inches of snow here in NC!

Joe
Former Caretaker of N4410B '55 170B
s/n: 26754