Painting my gear legs

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Thart739@gmail.com

Painting my gear legs

Post by Thart739@gmail.com »

I am in the process of replacing my landing gear. I was looking for some advise on what kind of primer and paint to use? The legs have been plastic beed stripped of all paint, so I am starting with bare metal.
Thanks for the advise.
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minton

Re: Painting my gear legs

Post by minton »

bigrenna wrote:Cessna is pretty strict with how MLG should be treated.

It's good that you blasted them and didn't strip em. Using chem stripper is a big no no due to hydrogen embrittlement. Best thing would be to use a wire wheel and mechanically strip em.

I just refinished mine. I used a two part epoxy prime, then a HD Imron top coat. This is prob the toughest finish you can do.

Of course the nay-sayers will step up, but this is a good time to install the PPonk kit. It's also a perfect time to make some grease plates and get that toe and camber dead nuts on. Not sure if the A/C is level or not, but if it is, you can shim under the MLG Jesus Bolt to get it square.

Good luck!
Your first statement is the one that matters most. Cessna does have material available on 'how to" inspect and recertify landing gear.
They are quite specific on how coatings and corrosion are to be handled. If it is to be "receritified" by some one who can it then becomes mandatory to follow those recommendations. You should at least look through the material before going forward.

The corrosion garu's say that metal "Hydrogen embrittlement" only occurs if the removal product remains in place. If it is completely removed it is not a factor. Ref: Corrosiondoctors.org
Thart739@gmail.com

Thanks for the good advise, my legs have been tested and re certified. I am now getting ready to paint them so I can put the legs on the plane. I do have a pponk kit installed. Bigrenna can you please explain in more detail how you use grease plates to adjust the Toe and Camber of the gear?
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Thart739@gmail.com wrote:Thanks for the good advise, my legs have been tested and re certified. I am now getting ready to paint them so I can put the legs on the plane. I do have a pponk kit installed. Bigrenna can you please explain in more detail how you use grease plates to adjust the Toe and Camber of the gear?
The process is described in the Cessna 100 series Service Manual. 2 grease plates are laid on top of each other then slid under each aircraft wheel under load with the aircraft being level like you would have it to do a weight and balance. The gear will rest in a position where you can measure the toe in and camber. It also states that your aircraft should be at gross weight if I remember correctly. D
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

The service manual says ideally it is best to adjust at normal operating weight, not at MGW.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
canav8

Post by canav8 »

lowNslow wrote:The service manual says ideally it is best to adjust at normal operating weight, not at MGW.
Thanks Karl, I could have sworn it said Max Gross but thanks for double checking. By the way, I have an ASW-20C also. D
Doug
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Great to see there are some other glider guiders in the group, hope to fly in your neck of the woods one of these days.

-karl (GD)
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
tdukerich

Post by tdukerich »

+1 on the glider pilots comment. If you are in the Tucson area, we have a great club at El Tiro Gliderport.

I also own a 20C.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The factory recommendation is to load the airplane to 2,000 lbs for alignment purposes, but as has been pointed out elsewhere that is not mandatory. Whatever your typical operating wt is should be fine.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Thart739@gmail.com

I have priced out a two part primer epoxy that including the hardener comes to around 160.00 for a gallon! Just wondering has anyone powder coated gear legs before? It seems like it could be a good option but I am sure there is a good reason not to do it...
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Thart739@gmail.com wrote:I have priced out a two part primer epoxy that including the hardener comes to around 160.00 for a gallon! Just wondering has anyone powder coated gear legs before? It seems like it could be a good option but I am sure there is a good reason not to do it...
I do not believe powder coating is an acceptable practice with spring steel gear legs. Powder coating requires exposure to 400 degree temperatures to cure. I believe that will compromise the molecular structure and integrity of the gear leg. I may be wrong but from what I know, I wouldnt expose the gear leg to that process.
Doug
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalo ... mel-spray/

Cheap, looks great and is easy to repair rock chips :wink: