Too unbelieveable to be true...

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Too unbelieveable to be true...

Post by GAHorn »

I hesitate to post this ...but you never know...and the grapevine of knowlege here might have heard about it...but I haven't....
So before I answer an email... let me share it with you guys and see if anyone here has heard of this ????

"I recently talked to guy from Arizona that owns a 170b with the 180 hp Lycoming conv..

He was telling me that he heard from another airplane fellow that someone in the southwest

has an stc for a 180 hp conversion for the 0-300 continental. It requires changing the

camshaft, pistons and cylinders. Have you heard of such a conversion? I am wanting

to know more about this as I am in the process of assembling our 0-300 right now.

I am halting the assm. till I find out about this. Please let me know if you have heard

anything about the conversion
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Re: Too unbelieveable to be true...

Post by blueldr »

George,
Eric Osmuth of Sandhill Aviation up in New Hampshire told me about installing an IO-360 camshaft and some other odd parts in an O-300 engine to bump up the HP. I do not believe it had any sort of blessing from the friendly fuzz, I have also heard of installing C-85 pistons to raise the compression in the O-300. I understand it requires the top of the piston to be chamferred to provide clearance from the head. This is reputed to be common with the F-1 racers in their O-200 engines. The C-85 has the same bore but the stroke is shorter so the distance from the wrist pin to the top of the piston head is slightly greater. Obviously not for certified engines.
I certainly am no expert on engine STCs, but the only one I can think of, off hand, is the one held by "P Ponk" to bore out the skirt holes in the O-470 cases to accept IO-520 cylinders to build up a carbureted O-520 engine using the O-470 induction system.
I sure would like to see an STC to boost up the O-300.
BL
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Klaus Savier has squeezed out amazing performance in his VariEze with aerodynamic improvements and improvements to the O-200. Wouldn't it be nice to add electronic ignition and these high compression pistons to the O-300? His website claims getting 115-120 hp from the O-200. If one could get the same performance increase using these pistons the O-300 could achieve 167-174 hp. Too bad there is no STC for these pistons.
pistons1.jpg
pistons1.jpg (17.23 KiB) Viewed 25577 times
Last edited by n2582d on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

Lycon engines in Visalia, CA does port and polish treatment to 0300 and other engines which gets an increase in HP. I have been really happy with an engine they overhauled for me a few years back.
hunter2

Post by hunter2 »

Greetings, 170 association I have been looking around here and finally joined as I saw this thread
Here is a link to something that may be of interest I don't think they claim to get 180HP more like
160-165hp I talked to a mechanic that installed these in a 0300 and it made a big difference. If you
have any experience I would be interested as I am in the same boat as George. I think you can
purchase pistons, rings, cam

http://www.performanceengines.com/pistons.html

Hunter2
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Is there an STC for the O300 to produce 145hp on takeoff? :)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bagarre wrote:Is there an STC for the O300 to produce 145hp on takeoff? :)
:lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

These engine mods have been bouncing around the Association for years. To my knowledge there is no legal way to do any of these mods to your certified aircraft except through a one time field approval and.... Good luck with that !! Or, go Experimental. :D
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Ed,
I was mistakenly under the impression that experimental aircraft builders didn't have to comply with airworthiness directives. Aparrently there are isolated AD’s that apply to experimental aircraft. I found this in AC39-7D:
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Have you had any AD’s that you have had to comply with on your RV?
Last edited by n2582d on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
mit

Post by mit »

bagarre wrote:Is there an STC for the O300 to produce 145hp on takeoff? :)
An 80/40 prop comes close.
Tim
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

[quote="n2582d"]Ed,
I was mistakenly under the impression that experimental aircraft builders didn't have to comply with airworthiness directives. Aparrently there are isolated AD’s that apply to experimental aircraft. I found this in AC39-7D:
8471E133-CA9E-4108-9263-1FB1C2C8A2A6.jpeg
Have you had any AD’s that you have had to comply with on your RV?[/quote

No I haven't. However AD's on equipment and appliances that are installed on the experimental aircraft you fly should be evaluated for safety issues. Problems with RV airframes are normally addressed by Service bulletins from Van's. There are so many different engine prop combinations out there it is really up to the owner/ builder to determine what and what doesn't apply and what action if any is taken. My engine is a Mattituck O-360 , 180 HP experimental engine rated at 2500 hr TBO. It has about 1150 hrs over 13 years and has never had any SB's. I have one slick mag and I do comply with the 500 hr inspection AD. Somethings just make sense, required or not. But I think overall, due to the uniqness of experimental aircraft, AD's do not apply.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver