L-19 wing same as 170B ??

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jworth94

L-19 wing same as 170B ??

Post by jworth94 »

Just curious about this. I spoke to a previous owner of a 170B and he said his airplane had L-19 wings on it. He said they even had the hard points on the wings for missile installation. Could this be true?? Is it even possible?
FredM

Post by FredM »

the L-19 was designed using the wings from a 170B so there should be little difference.
Fred L. Mahan
51 C170A N1289D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The wing was developed from the 170-B, but the flaps are different.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Larger gas tanks too, but the interface to the fuselage (attach points) is identical to the B wing.

Miles
jworth94

Post by jworth94 »

I had heard the L-19 flaps go to 60 degrees. I'm not sure if that's correct or not.

I didn't realize the tanks were larger. I guess that makes sense since the Birddog had an O-470 in it.

Jon
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Jon

As the owner of a 170 with L-19 wings and possibly the one you spoke with I can say it is with out a doubt true. My plane happens to be licensed as an A model but best represents a '52B model.

The wings have the stock B model tanks or at least 21 gal capacity and normal B model flaps and mechanism. These things could be be interchanged with some work. The wings also have the hard points for the wing rocket pods and a patched hole for the electrical molex connector.

As best I can tell the landing light might be L-19 as well. On all B model airplanes that I have seen it is possible to change an individual bulb by removing screws that hold the fixture together that hold the bulbs.

On mine the fixture is riveted together with solid rivets making in impossible to change a bulb without drilling rivets and re-squeezing new rivets. Thus the bulb are meant to be replaced as a unit of two with a new fixture the way the military might do it.

As for the tanks I'm not so sure all L-19s had bigger tanks. I've been told there are two kinds of L-19 wings. So called light models and heavy models. Early L-19s, those probably made with wings exactly like B models had a lower gross weight, later ones had heavier wing material and a higher gross weight. At least this is what I recall being told.

The L-19 does have a completely different flap mechanism and they do deploy to 60 degrees.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
dlinsley

Post by dlinsley »

Bruce,
Is your L-19 wing installation on an STC or field approval?
Bruce Fenstermacher

Mine are field approved but there is an STC. Don't know if you can still get the STC though.

I don't think L-19s are a source of wings for our birds however. I was told by a L-19 guy that since L-19 parts are starting to dry up and the value of L-19s rising though the roof, if my wings are the "heavy" version, they could be worth nearly as much as my whole plane. Who knows.
Last edited by Bruce Fenstermacher on Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyguy

GUVMENT PRICING

Post by flyguy »

ACCORDING TO THIS BOOK IMA READIN (AN IF AEROPLANE PARTS IS SIMILIER TO WHAT REGULAR GUY AEROPLANE PARTS COSTS) THAT LANIN LITE PROPLY COSTED US TAXI PAYERS ABOUT $10000.00 BUCKS! SEEMS LIKE MAJOR AN MINOR MILITARY CONTRACTORS CAN GIT AWAY WITH AXING THE MOS OUTRAGEOUS PRICES FER THINGS AN GITTIN EM. THEN THEY TURNS AROUN AN PUTS A LITTLE OF IT BACK IN THE POCKETS OF THEM GUYS IN THE GUMINT MONEY (MONKEY)BIZNESS. ITSA CALL THE PENNY GONE BUJET. :twisted:
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
jworth94

Post by jworth94 »

Bruce,

Thanks for the input about your L-19 wings. Other than the hard points and the riveted light are there any other external features that identify them as L-19 as opposed to B-model wings?

Jon
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

Bird Dog wing Vs. big bird

johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Come on Bill the suspense is killing the rest of us, what is the story to go with those pictures? :)
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

I wish I knew. A friend out in Texas sent them to me with a note “look what’s in my hanger” Apparently the owner hit a buzzard and had to land at my friends home field.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

All of the L-19 wings I've ever seen do NOT have flap tracks. The flaps are hinged with the pivot point of the hinge well below the lower surface of the wing. This is the same system as is used on the Piper "Super Cub" and the Aviat "Husky".
They also have the same fuel tanks as a C-170B.
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Yes BL is correct the flap hinge mechanism is completely different yet appearently interchangeable with the standard B model Flaps and mechanism.

Another clue that you are looking at an L-19 wing or at least an L-19 skin is the left wing has two fresh air vents. On mine the second is patched closed.

I've not found any more differences but there may be some internally.