Sequential Serial Numbers with Pictures

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Sequential Serial Numbers with Pictures

Post by GAHorn »

alaskan9974 wrote:
gahorn wrote:At 2200 lbs the stock 170 performs really well. Add 200 lbs and it gets slightly underpowered, but still doable. Many of these airplanes are actually operated slightly overweight, I believe, because the WT/Bal is not up to date and empty wts are more than owners know. This leads to opinions of marginal performance. Don’t carry around unnecessary junk in the back... it adds up.
From reading your signature, looks like our birds came out of the factory pretty close together.
Got a picture of yours?

N146YS SN:25713 rolled off assy-line Nov’52 went straight to El Salvador Cessna dealer as YS-146 w/ag and camera kit.
Outside our hangar while re-familiarizing Bob Lavery in preparation for his “Right Seater” course at GLS convention
Outside our hangar while re-familiarizing Bob Lavery in preparation for his “Right Seater” course at GLS convention
Taxying out at Lompoc after the Tehachapi convention
Taxying out at Lompoc after the Tehachapi convention
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
alaskan9974

Re: Sequential Serial Numbers with Pictures

Post by alaskan9974 »

N3068A SN 25712, was delivered to the dealer on March 10, 1953, sold to a doctor, Dr. Day on March 16, 1953 in Whiteville, KY. Was then sold in the 60's and moved to Florida. Onto California in the 70's and eventually up to Alaska in 2005.
Attachments
59574_1532208134.jpg
'53 B-model SN:25712
Marilyn Rose

Re: Sequential Serial Numbers with Pictures

Post by Marilyn Rose »

My father owned this plane during the time it was in Florida and at least part of the time it was in California. It was originally blue and white. I have a few pictures of it. I can't figure out how to post one here, but I'd be glad to do it if I can figure it out. I was born in 1956 and we traveled most every weekend until he sold the plane. In Florida, we flew from the airport in Merrit Island. In California, it was at the San Jose airport. There are so many stories I could tell of our travels, including the emergency landing with the perfect touch-down that is branded in my memory. We were quite excited to find out it ended up as a bush plane in Alaska. I visited Fairbanks in February this year and kept thinking of it being "somewhere out there." My father died year before last at the age of 95. He had his pilot's license until age 89 and owned several other planes after the Cessna. He restored a post-World War 1 Focke Wulf and built a Christen Eagle, which he flew in aerobatic competitions. He did get to see the pics of 3068A before he died. It's nice that it ended up with yellow trim because that was his favorite color. I understand there was a bit of a crash of 3068A a few years ago. I hope someone fixes it and flies it again.