Wheel pant air access door

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bubba144

Wheel pant air access door

Post by bubba144 »

Does anyone have experience/plan to install air access doors in original wheel pants?
GAHorn

Re: Wheel pant air access door

Post by GAHorn »

If you have original pants, it’s your stuff and your choice... but they are so-desireable for originality that cutting access doors in them likely reduces their value. I’d recommend you purchase after-market plastic/fiberglas pants for that purpose and keep or sell your originals (along with their mounting plates since aftermarkets use their own plates.)

I have original pants on mine, and yes, adding/checking air is a bit of a pain. I remove the single axle-end-bolt and pull the pant outward to cram my hand inside to air up the tire (and I am unforgiving of cheap inner-tubes and air leaks, but 2 or 3 times a year it’s necessary to do it.)

I’ve removed the fairings off our 172 and don’t miss them one bit, but I like the looks on the 170 plus I want to protect the tail surfaces and the underside of the wings on a classic airplane.

Hope this helps.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Mschwarzkopf

Post by Mschwarzkopf »

gahorn wrote:(and I am unforgiving of cheap inner-tubes and air leaks, but 2 or 3 times a year it’s necessary to do it.)
I must be flying with some cheapo tubes! I have to add a few psi every few weeks! What tubes are you flying, George??!!

Mike
Mike Schwarzkopf
'51 C170A - N1471D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Mschwarzkopf wrote:
gahorn wrote:(and I am unforgiving of cheap inner-tubes and air leaks, but 2 or 3 times a year it’s necessary to do it.)
I must be flying with some cheapo tubes! I have to add a few psi every few weeks! What tubes are you flying, George??!!

Mike
Goodyear when I can get them, Michelin are my second choice, and Desser Tire can usually provide high-grade tubes but you have to ask.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/lg ... guard.html
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Mschwarzkopf

Post by Mschwarzkopf »

Thanks George.
Mike Schwarzkopf
'51 C170A - N1471D