Helicopters High Wire Act - SMART GRID

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Helicopters High Wire Act - SMART GRID

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Made me very nervous

Helicopter pulls up next to Electrical Transmission Tower line -- Daringly he steps out of copter
and onto the Small Skid, I do not pretend to know technicalities of his job. This is loud and approx 70 Feet in the Air.

For over ninety four years these Electric lattice towers have been dotted across USA. They push electricity down the line hence the name Transmission Towers - PUSH electricity. High to low -Push it.

Now for a Mechanical tibit- Push a Rope - Try this w 4 ft piece of Rope - control it by pushing it. Better to control definite Action by PULLING instead of pushing. I was in an Industry that had it brains beat out by U SPatd office granting a patent to a competitor who just reversed the mechanical action. Same end user result.

Reason for the Helicopter High wire Act. One name is SMART GRID. It could be a "low voltage return line" or a fiber optic data cable.

Now you are pulling the signal back which means you can PUSH it out at up to 100X times the speed!

After 80 years getting smarter - thus SMARTGRID

I watched w fear.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
GAHorn

Re: Helicopters High Wire Act - SMART GRID

Post by GAHorn »

I observed a helicopter hover alongside a high-tension transmission line ..(NOT fiber-optic...this thing has 19K volts+ running thru it) … while a man gets out on the skid and physically handles the conductors. 8O

This is part of what proves to me that helicopter people are of questionable character. :mrgreen:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)