How Do You Wash your 170?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

How Do You Wash your 170?

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I am inside a closed Hanger.

200 Ft from a water Tap. Have only a 50 ft hose.

A/C is very dusty -needs washing - Fully painted White w A Green and Yellow Stripe. When newly painted used to get comment an honest paint job.

Would certainly appreciate the wisdom of my peers.

Pull out of hanger - set on apron. Now what is the correct way to do a simple wash job?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
cessna170bdriver

Re: How Do You Wash your 170?

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I use WashWaxAll and a couple of microfiber towels, one for cleaning, and one for drying. It works just fine (even on the same paint colors :lol: ). I haven turned a water hose on my airplane in about 15 years.
853DD6DC-019D-4480-871F-6EB9C9665B91.jpeg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

I either use this method:

or I use the same product and technique as Miles mentioned.

Jughead
mit

Post by mit »

Never washed it...………...
Tim
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I get three old bath towels and two buckets of water. Pour about 4 oz. of WashWaxAll blue bottle cleaner or any wash product that has Sodium Lauryl Sulphate as its main ingredient in one bucket. Use one towel in the soap bucket and wash an area. Use the second towel in the rinse bucket and rinse the area. Use the third towel to dry the area. Then get two microfiber towels and use one to apply Rejex following the directions on the bottle to a T. Use the other microfiber towel to polish off the Rejex. Your plane will look its best
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I've told this before but here's a shorter version:

Buy WD40 in gallon can. Pour 2 cups into bucket. Add water forcefully from hose.
Rinse airplane with hose to know off heavy dust. Dip dedicated COTTON MOP into WD40 emulsion and use mop to wash airplane wingtops, etc. Use old towel to wash the rest using the WD40 emusion.
Rinse airplane again. Dry with towel.
Clean windows normally.

Advantage: No soap on aluminum (most soaps corrode, remove lubrication, and dull paint. Even so-called "aircraft" soaps often do, and Aircraft Simple Green will absolutely ruin any bare aluminum by creating a permanent tarnish/stain.) WD40 is harmless to plastic, and it lubricates all hinges, weatherstrips, and leaves a waxed-look that water will "bead up" on. WD40 removes tar, bugs, grease, and belly-junk. WD40 preserves polished/bare aluminum so as to reduce the need for re-polishing. Ask Steve Jacobsen how it saved his on the way to another Oshkosh trophy.
And it smells good, makes good cologne.

Disadvantage: Your wife will absolutely tear you a new one if you use HER mop. Buy your own, preferably the janitorial type which allows new mopheads to be replaced and the handles/attaching hardware are all-plastic so as to avoid scratching your airplane.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

So George you use WD - 40 as a cologne? It must be rough on the arm pits . How I wash my aircraft ? Hose off all the cow poo and then using a car wash additive with a large cup of kero thrown in for good measure. The plastics are washed with heaps of water from a hose and using my hand . The only corrosion I have is on the r/h flap .been treated a number of times and it appears in another area. Must be exhaust gas that’s the issue.
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

My field prohibits the washing of aircraft on the field with water, primarily because there are no facilities to manage the runoff. I use a product called SkyWash from Aircraft Spruce, which is a "dry" wash/wax product. You apply it with a cotton rag, rub it in, and then when it dries wipe if off with a clean rag. It leaves a very smooth, shiny waxed surface with minimal effort I keep my 170 hangared and generally keep it very clean on a day-to-day basis, so when I use the SkyWash product every six months or so I'm not removing copious amounts of dirt and grease but mostly dust, pollen, and light exhaust. I also wipe down the leading edges of the plane after each flight to keep the bug debris clean, and the wax from the SkyWash makes it a very easy process.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... shintl.php

Brian
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

MoonlightVFR wrote:I am inside a closed Hanger.

200 Ft from a water Tap. Have only a 50 ft hose.

A/C is very dusty -needs washing - Fully painted White w A Green and Yellow Stripe. When newly painted used to get comment an honest paint job.

Would certainly appreciate the wisdom of my peers.

Pull out of hanger - set on apron. Now what is the correct way to do a simple wash job?
Um, buy more hose? :)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

brian.olson wrote:My field prohibits the washing of aircraft on the field with water, primarily because there are no facilities to manage the runoff. ...Brian
Do they require you to move it inside a hangar when it rains? :?
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Now I would like to purchase a Gallon of WashWax ALL -

Auto Stores have no knowledge of item.

See it advertised on on AMAZON - I am willing to pay 8-10.00 for Freight - it is just that Amazon will no longer let me purchase with PAYPAL - I prefer to use Paypal because my CR CRD info is safer.

I just want to purchase one item. Amazon almost harrasses me to do Prime. Why should I activate a 100.00 account.
Four different ways to get Free Freight. Requires an Economics Utility Analysis decision that I am going to Lose.

One (1) gallon - pay w PAYPAL.

Stubborn, under informed,, I just walk away.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

MoonlightVFR wrote:Now I would like to purchase a Gallon of WashWax ALL -

Auto Stores have no knowledge of item.

See it advertised on on AMAZON - I am willing to pay 8-10.00 for Freight - it is just that Amazon will no longer let me purchase with PAYPAL - I prefer to use Paypal because my CR CRD info is safer.

I just want to purchase one item. Amazon almost harrasses me to do Prime. Why should I activate a 100.00 account.
Four different ways to get Free Freight. Requires an Economics Utility Analysis decision that I am going to Lose.

One (1) gallon - pay w PAYPAL.

Stubborn, under informed,, I just walk away.
Aircraft Spruce will allow you to purchase it using PayPal. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... kkey=17921
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Thank You G.A. Horn

I odered w Paypal.

frt was 13.75 But I am happy.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
bgiesbrecht

Post by bgiesbrecht »

WashWax All is amazing. I love that stuff.
Former owner of:
1953 170B
N1977C
s/n 26122
Kevin Pearce

Post by Kevin Pearce »

Washwax All - Are most of you using this as a dry wash?
I have tried Rejex and am very impressed.
Just a bit worried about not using water and scratching paint.