wingtip strobes

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bubba144

wingtip strobes

Post by bubba144 »

I have one wingtip out in an older whelen product. I'd like to hear any experience with competitors, especially with led's.
floatplaneflyer

Re: wingtip strobes

Post by floatplaneflyer »

+1 on finding out what strobes I can put on the wingtips in place of the position lights there. I currently have a working grimes rotating beacon on the belly, but want to add strobe to the wingtips for when that fails. -Harmon

N3134A
'53 170B N3134A #25778
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If you’ve yet to choose an ADS-B solution... the SkyBeacon and SkySensor from uAvionix includes wingtip LED navlights and “strobe” style anti-collision lighting incorporated into the product.

If, however, you have the “piggyback” Nav lights and Whelen strobe combinations and want spare parts or to cob together a new installation... I removed my Whelen piggyback nav/strobes and power supply.... In working condition.... ready for any reasonable offer. (The wiring harness is not included.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bgiesbrecht

Post by bgiesbrecht »

My bird has the Aeroled Pulsar N series LED nav/strobes. I love them. Highly recommend

https://aeroleds.com/pulsar-ns-series-certified/
Former owner of:
1953 170B
N1977C
s/n 26122
floatplaneflyer

bgiesbrecht wrote:Aeroled Pulsar N series LED

Are they a direct replacement? I know the Whelen 650's appear to be. I would like to keep the installation as original as possible but my mechanical grinder underneath the plane works, and there is no top side light.

From reading the doc on other threads, I understand I am legal with just wingtip strobes on the 170. WOuld be great to know exactly what part numbers will fit.

-Harmon
'53 170B N3134A #25778
dstates

Post by dstates »

I just installed the Whelen Orion 650 wingtip nav and strobe lights over the winter. I'm very happy with them. Direct bolt on install on the original wingtips of my 170A. I did run new shielded wire out to the wingtips for power and ground. I had an empty piano key and added a switch just for strobes. That was the biggest part of the job.

Doug
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
floatplaneflyer

GAHorn wrote:If you’ve yet to choose an ADS-B solution... the SkyBeacon and SkySensor from uAvionix includes wingtip LED navlights and “strobe” style anti-collision lighting incorporated into the product.

If, however, you have the “piggyback” Nav lights and Whelen strobe combinations and want spare parts or to cob together a new installation... I removed my Whelen piggyback nav/strobes and power supply.... In working condition.... ready for any reasonable offer. (The wiring harness is not included.)
'53 170B N3134A #25778