Float Compass -Failure to Communicate

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Float Compass -Failure to Communicate

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I have a Airpath Compass in C170B s n 24633.

I think it works O.K. - Maybe the liquid could be a tiny bit more full. But it works. A while ago some one did a "kit" field job on it.

Now the IA /AP has flagged it.

I sent pictures of the compass to the mfg in my home town St Louis. They ID then wanted me to purchase from Aircraft Spruce. I understand completely.

My installation is a hanging install from center of Windscreen. The housing is not acknowledged by the principal owner of Airpath. This is a 65 year factory install.

A/S is trying to communicate w Airpath through his P&A section without response.

I want to purchase "NEW" the same compass I have flown behind for decades.

What we have here is a failure to Communicate.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
eskflyer

Re: Float Compass -Failure to Communicate

Post by eskflyer »

post a picture of the compass and mount so we can see it.

shortwing and spamcan flyer

JP
AA16, SHORTWING and SPAMCAN FLYER, JP
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I know what you mean, I removed the same one when I went to the centre strapless windshield. It’s kicking around somewhere. http://www.chiefaircraft.com/ap-c2400l4vt.html. It’s like this but the attach is a bit different looking.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

MoonlightVFR wrote:I have a Airpath Compass in C170B s n 24633.

I think it works O.K. - Maybe the liquid could be a tiny bit more full. But it works. A while ago some one did a "kit" field job on it.

Now the IA /AP has flagged it.

What we have here is a failure to Communicate.
Why did the "flag" it? What reason did he give?

Remember, that an inspector cannot hold your airplane "hostage". The owner can take the airplane anywhere to have squawks reconciled. The inspector can only enter "Inspected in accordance with annual (or whatever) inspection and a list of discrepancies given to owner." (or similar. no specifics are required or necessary or desired, IMO.)

Then take the airplane to have the discrepancy corrected elsewhere. The A&P (or whomever) then enters into the record "Discrepancy(s) noted on (date) corrected (enters necessary data)"
End
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)