High flyer

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

High flyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Just had a conversation with a friend about heights when flying. He,s a rock hopper. Nothing above 500ft ground level. Me well it’s 7500ft to 10,000ft . Or even higher on a long trip. His argument he wants to see things on the ground while flying . I told him he needs a push bike to see things on the ground . To me it’s better safety for flying at heights and the engine runs better at higher altitude and You CAN see more . My argument or opinion is one can take advantage of winds and weather also. Especially in our part of the world when in summer it’s above 100deg F . So my question to the members what is the “normal” height that you fly above the ground and your reasons . My friend is a helicopter pilot during the working week so maybe that’s why his flying characteristics are the way they are.
eskflyer

Re: High flyer

Post by eskflyer »

I get a nose bleed above 1000 agl. Actually today I climbed to 7500 awl (above water level) for 35 miles. Gives me a little bit longer to contemplate if the pilot fan were to quit.

Shortwing and soon to be spamcan flyer
JP
AA16, SHORTWING and SPAMCAN FLYER, JP
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If I'm going somewhere in a normally aspirated airplane I prefer 7500 +or -. It's where the wide open throttle nears best-power and TAS. Winds and Wx influence that choice, of course.

Take a look at the performance numbers in the Owner's Manual/AFM and you can confirm that.
If I'm sight-seeing... I choose what fits.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Completely depends on where I am going, terrain, winds, wx, loads etc. All else being equal I prefer 1,000'AGL. High enough to have options, low enough to enjoy the view. Below 99% of all traffic.