How many Airworthiness directives on Cessna 170?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

How many Airworthiness directives on Cessna 170?

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I tried the FAA but it became a complex inquiry.

How many AD s were ever filed against the Cessna 170 model?

Date of the first AD?

Date of the latest AD?

Are there "safety of flight" issues that remain and You personally would like to see a modern redesign?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
cessna170bdriver

Re: How many Airworthiness directives on Cessna 170?

Post by cessna170bdriver »

This is every AD my AI knew of as of 2006. The first one in my book was issued in 1948, and the latest one was issued in 1999. Many don’t apply to my airplane, as his search, in addition to airframe and engine ADs, included ADs on every accessory that was even eligible to be installed in a 170, including various models of Lycoming engines. Others don’t apply because they were issued years before my airplane was manufactured. I don’t think it’s an easy search on the public internet, as many AIs pay for an annual subscription to have complete data readily available.
FFCB8AA5-3E67-4D4C-86D1-585C0311AD20.jpeg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Re: How many Airworthiness directives on Cessna 170?

Post by GAHorn »

MoonlightVFR wrote:I tried the FAA but it became a complex inquiry.

How many AD s were ever filed against the Cessna 170 model?

Date of the first AD?

Date of the latest AD?

Are there "safety of flight" issues that remain and You personally would like to see a modern redesign?
Now that Miles answered, you know why IA's charge so much to do your First-Annual. After the First one, it's a less time-consuming task for them and for you to have to pay for.
You likely asked the question thinking about the AIRFRAME... but so many accessories and modifications are available which might pertain to a 60 year old airplane that literally scores might need research before any individual airframe can be properly documented.
However, the Cessna 170 and the Stinson 100 series have some of the fewest applicable for the typical genre.... if that's what you're seeking to know. And the Cessna 170 has no ADs that indicate any serious design or engineering faults (in my opinion....and other than perhaps the seat-tracks. However, as regards your question on safety-of-flight, it is also my personal opinion that one should be issued against the B-model requiring a change of placarding which would Prohibit Slips with Flaps deployed.)

As for dates of issuance, there were 22 issued prior to 1950 and the "latest" might be according to whatever the latest avionics or modification might have been applied to a particular airplane. Like Miles indicated, whether or not any of them apply to a particular airframe would depend upon the installed equipment and any modifications made over the last six decades.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)