Damage History

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

gpl916

Damage History

Post by gpl916 »

I am going to look at the C170 in sisters OR that is listed on Barnstormers . Talking with the owner the plane had been ground looped at one point and repaired which consisted of new wings, right side horizontal stabilizer and gear legs. I know many of these planes have some damage history but This sounds like a lot.

Should I consider this aircraft? What are things that I can look at before deciding to do a pre buy inspecrion to decide if it is worth moving forward? General symmetry, and? I know the case where the legs attach can be damaged but is that something I can see without disassembly?

Anyone familiar with this particular plane? The owner doesn’t have a lot of knowledge of the aircraft as he has owned it only a year with and he hasn’t done an annual (has one scheduled for April). He says he is buying a friends with a 180 upgrade.

All this raises red flags to me but it does have some good features.

Thanks for any input.

Greg
counsellj

Re: Damage History

Post by counsellj »

Most of these airplanes have been ground looped at least once. If the repairs were performed properly and documented I would worry about it. Especially if it was many years ago.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Jughead, didn’t you mean you WOULD NOT worry about it?
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
mit

Post by mit »

I wish they were still making these exactly like they did.
Tim
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Thanks Richard, Yes, I meant to say I WOULD NOT worry about it.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Sorry I disagree and certainly I can be wrong but...
I would say worry about it as every situation, every example is different in its own way.
I just looked at the ad and it’s cryptic at best. Looks like new paint, pointy spinner, looks like the ad mentions a 0-300D but then goes on to talk about a Avcon STC. High time motor ?
One of the things that makes my ears stand up when I look at a plane (especially if it sports new paint) is the condition of the rudder pedals. It’s like looking at an advertised low mileage car with a brake pedal sporting a worn out rubber pad ; if the rudder pedals are sagging due to wallowed out pivot points what’s the rest of the mechanicals like?
Devil is always in the details.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
gpl916

Post by gpl916 »

Thanks for the comments so far. I am not too worried about damage history. I know many of the 170's will have some, it's just a matter of how much.

I want to figure out (if possible) if a potential aircraft is not a good candidate before I spend a lot of money on a pre-purchase inspection.

Thanks!
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

c170b53 wrote:Sorry I disagree and certainly I can be wrong but...
I would say worry about it as every situation, every example is different in its own way.
I just looked at the ad and it’s cryptic at best. Looks like new paint, pointy spinner, looks like the ad mentions a 0-300D but then goes on to talk about a Avcon STC. High time motor ?
One of the things that makes my ears stand up when I look at a plane (especially if it sports new paint) is the condition of the rudder pedals. It’s like looking at an advertised low mileage car with a brake pedal sporting a worn out rubber pad ; if the rudder pedals are sagging due to wallowed out pivot points what’s the rest of the mechanicals like?
Devil is always in the details.
Jim, I fully agree with your above statement as well. I was simply trying to address his concern about damage repair. I am sure we have many other good examples of pre-buy/inspection advice. Paperwork is a BIG issue on these older birds.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

As owners we know to look closely at specifics. Jon , your right about having good paperwork and good repairs but making that determination often is beyond the area of expertise of a new pilot/owner. Unfortunately damage can be hidden, log entries missed and creative writing abounds especially if an aircraft passes through many hands.
It has been written so many times on this web site about the merits of carrying out an annual inspection prior to purchase, I’m sure most of us have become tired of debating the point or wary of causing posting burn out (much like I’m doing here 8O ).
New owners please buy the most airplane you can afford. The cost of an annual inspection from a known shop not associated with the owner should be in that number.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
gpl916

Post by gpl916 »

c170b53 wrote: The cost of an annual inspection from a known shop not associated with the owner should be in that number.

I am planning to do an annual when I find the right aircraft.