Factory recommended OAT to install/remove winterization kit?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mdpesky

Factory recommended OAT to install/remove winterization kit?

Post by mdpesky »

Hi All

Can anyone advise what the sticker on an original set of Winter cowl baffles said for removal temperature? I’ve made myself a set but don’t have a clue what Cessna recommended as to the max temp they should’ve used under? I’m heading North to our remote came on wheel skis, I’ll be taking off from a paved strip on wheels and landing 1.5 hrs later on a frozen lake with snow up to my arse. I need the engine to run warmer but don’t want heating issues while plowing through deep snow on skis, so be why I’d like to know what the factory recommends and what other peoples experience is?

Thanks guys!
MDPesky:1954 C-170B/C145/Horton Stol, 1960 C-182C/520ci/Sportsman/Vortex/Wing-X/Alaskan Bush Wheel/Atlee Dodge/Ext-bag/Belly-Pod, 2013 Zenair CH750/912iS, 1999 Europa Tri-Gear/914 Turbo
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Factory recommended OAT to install/remove winterization

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Remove the cowl opening plates at 30F and the sump plate at 60F.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
brianm

Re: Factory recommended OAT to install/remove winterization

Post by brianm »

Bruce made me a great set if winterization plates last year. I use the oil sump plate at 60F, but down here in Illinois pretty much never use the cowl plates. They just seem to be too much unless OAT is down in the teens. Between freezing and 15 I use one or two strips of tape instead.
Brian M
N2669V - '48