The age of aircraft

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

The age of aircraft

Post by ghostflyer »

At a gathering of people the other night and I was being quizzed over the 170 . When I told them it was built in 1949 a number of people had a look of disbelief on their faces. “ and you go flying in that” one lady remarked. Yes, it’s a lot of fun. I remarked. What about rust and things worn out? I was asked. I told them about the maintenance and checks carried out ,it’s my belief the aircraft are good as new . I then made the statement ‘’ aircraft do not get old only the pilots get old”. Then a smarty up the back remarked “ some of the female passengers are older ,worn out and very rusty. “
I left the scene quickly.
Ryan Smith

Re: The age of aircraft

Post by Ryan Smith »

Might be a good time to point out that aluminum doesn’t rust...

It is funny though. My dad just bought a 1950 Ford F1 to tinker on. It was restored several years ago, but wasn’t driven and wasn’t running well when he bought it. He drives his German Shorthair Pointer up to the airport sometimes in it and it’s cool to see it sitting beside the 170 given that there were only minor visual between a 1950 A model and our 1952 B model. The 170 just doesn’t look old. Classy, absolutely, but sitting beside a brand new T182T, the 170 doesn’t look nearly as out of place as the F1 does against a brand new F-250.

I always illustrate this to people and they seem to “get it” after a little discussion. They would faint if they knew the age/hours/cycles of some of the airliners have. 56D is one of the oldest airplanes age-wise I regularly fly, but one of the younger ones with respect to airframe hours. It’s a funny balance.
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Had a similar expression voiced by St Louis County, MO Tax employee. It was a Drop Jaw Event for her.
"You fly a 1954 airplane?"

Well yes I do. This airplane will still be flying at age 100!

In fact the big sister to my airplane is hanging in the Smithsonian Institute museum in Washington, DC.

Jerrie Mock, housewife USA flew her Cessna 180 Solo around the world. 1964.

She would carefully change her shoes after landing in middle East countries. Disembarked in "High Heels"
The FBO attendants would stand around her C180, doors still open, as Jerrie made her way to the office.

Saudi Arabia men waited and waited after Jerrie had exited airplane. Then proclaimed, "No Man!"
Uproar.
53 years later (2017) Women were allowed to drive automobiles publicly with restrictions.

Yes OLD airplanes are Good Apples.

Please go visit the Smithsonian Institute. Look up at 38C. The aviation Feminine one.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

If you haven't read Jerrie Mock's book, Three Eight Charlie, by all means do so asap! It is an fascinating story, well written, and very entertaining. For the propeller head it contains all the gory details, not watered down, that you'd want to know. It is definitely a book written by a pilot, for a pilot.

In the annals of aviation history she's been sort of lost, which is a real shame as what she did really was incredible.

DEM
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Sometimes I think about the age of our planes. I remembers as a kid back in 1968 sitting in Dads 46 Cessna140 thinking a 22 year old plane was really old!! Little did I know that 50 years later I would be flying in its 70 year old big brother. Mine flies as good as a new one. In fact we had a Chapter fly out on Saturday and I had to bring 2 fellows back home because their new 172 would not start. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

3958v wrote:... In fact we had a Chapter fly out on Saturday and I had to bring 2 fellows back home because their new 172 would not start. Bill K
:lol:
I had a client (when I was still simulating in DFW) that told me his freight-company assigned him on the crew to mothball the company B747-400 in Arizona..and after delivering it to the boneyard... the company brought the crew home... in a C47/DC3. :lol: :lol: :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)