ADS-B uavionix updates

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jtramo

Re: ADS-B uavionix updates

Post by Jtramo »

The Nov 15th update said that it was done but they’d do a matching fin/light/strobe without the ADSB.

“We will not be certifying skySensor, but we will be producing a certified starboard side matching light called skyLight in Q1.”
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I expect ADS-B prices to start dropping by late spring.

A lot of patents surely have now expired (17-18 yrs)

Space X Falcon 9 just completed it contract w Iridium's NEXT Constellation. 75 Satellites launched = 66 operational
and 9 Spares in low earth orbit. Their new Certus products for improved L-Band connectivity to Boats, Aircraft and other end Users.

Don't you think some entrepreneurial types will step up to the GPS banquet?

I am in expectation having no real knowledge of what is about to happen in this world.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
brianm

Post by brianm »

I was expecting additional low-cost ADS-B out solutions to be announced at Oshkosh last year and it didn't happen. As far as I know nobody has announced that they are even developing new products in the "budget" space, let alone approaching certification. At this point I strongly believe that where we are now is where we are going to be at the end of the year. Seeing as how I'm based inside a Mode C veil and really don't want to get caught out in December, I'm ordering a skyBeacon.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
Jtramo

Post by Jtramo »

I feel like $1850 then the $500 rebate is the best the world is gonna see for a while. Everything else seems to be $3-6000 installed at the least.
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

I think the price has been driven down about low as it will go. There are a few standalone options at the $1800 range, and a few IN only transponders are $3k. There is competition at these levels, and there doesn't seem to be anything else in the pipe.

A few years back a coworker and I came up with the "10% Rule", which basically posits that aircraft owners will spend up to 10% of the value of their aircraft for unplanned, non-value adding options. So that's things like new regs, AD's, etc... (vs an engine overhaul, stol kit, or new gps which are planned purchases and theoretically would make your plane worth more). They grudge, whine, and complain, but they'll do it. Beyond 10% and you'll see serious push back, the aircraft get parked, or sold. So if you look at the average cost of our airplanes, and much of the GA fleet for that matter (172's, Cherokees, mooneys, etc...) the value is 20-40k, so ADS-B at $2k-$4k is an acceptable price. There's not much more incentive for manufacturers to go lower as most owners will equip at this price.

My Skybeacon arrived today. If the weather is OK I'll install it this weekend and let you guys know how it worked out.

DEM
Jtramo

Post by Jtramo »

Installed mine and waiting for a Thursday test flight.
Bob Baker

Post by Bob Baker »

I have a uAvionix on order. I see a 337 sample on the uAvionix website, as the C170 is not listed in the Approved Model List. I assume that is what everyone is doing? Also, I have heard that any ADS B transmitter can interfere with Com Frequencies. I have also heard that the signal can be picked up by the ELT, which can feed it back to interfere with certain com frequencies. The solution is to replace the older 121.5 and 243 frequencies with the newer 406. $$$$$$ The wingtip installation keeps a greater distance from other sources of interference, so I am hoping for the best. Has anyone else had this happen?
Jtramo

Post by Jtramo »

Everyone is using the process as described on the Uavionix website. I won’t try to cut and paste but just go there check it out. Basically the FAA extended an olive branch with the install of ADSB as a minor mod and inclusion on the AML is not required. The Garmin GDL unit is literally only AMLed for one aircraft in the Mooney series.

I’m still working out a few final kinks on mine after a test flight. My ICAO code was incorrectly entered and I was maneuvering too much. Climb descents and banks no greater then 30 degrees. No 360s etc. They also recommended a slight change in the threshold value. Minor stuff all fixed with easy flying and messing around with the configuration on the app. It’s really quite easy.

The signal issues or interference with com or ELT are all rumors along with a supposed rumor of adverse yaw. I suspect Garmin fans or on line plants are the cause of some of these silly rumors. I hate that Garmin is going after them even after they were issued a patent. This is a fantastic low cost solution. I installed it myself (with IA guidance) and got a real kick outa the guy installing the GDL-82 next door with his interior all taken out and seeing the drilling and fab involved. I had to connect two wires and put a screwdriver to 3 screws. Skybeacon is hands down the best low cost setup.
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

Jtramo,

What threshold value have you tried to far? I started with 42, and have flow a flight at 23. Both failed the Mode 3A part of the verification flight. I have it set at 35 now awaiting good weather to try again.
1950 170A: N9191A s/n 19366
170C

Post by 170C »

I have two friends that have just received their wing tip units. One installed it on his Mooney and should be testing it in the next few days (if the government shut down doesn't delay it). The other one will be installing his on his C-206 soon. Will be interesting to see how both work out. Sure wish Uavionix would get the tail position unit certified so we can see how it measures up.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

No one is getting anything certified while the government shut down is on going. Its really starting to affect our projects we're working on now.
1950 170A: N9191A s/n 19366
Jtramo

Post by Jtramo »

My buddy got his done and his rebate check is “in the mail” despite all this shutdown stuff. I think I PMed you on Facebook about my threshold issue.

First issues
1) ICAO hex code suggested by the app was incorrect. Not sure why or how but I doubt I put the wrong tail number in.
2) I was bored so I maneuvered around thinking nothing of it. Stalls. Steep turns. Chandelles. Etc. The FAA wants gentle turns and altitude changes. Not “maneuvering” as I performed it. Hahaha.
3) threshold was off a little.

Emailed them and they nearly immediately got back to me with their diagnosis along with the prediction that I was having too much fun with the maneuvering.

Second flight. Suggestion was to adjust threshold “down 5” and I adjusted it “to 5” so second gentle flight still failed. I asked for and was provided threshold adjustment suggestions consisting I don’t know what my unit was defaulted to after I moved it to 5.

Test flight when I return home from this trip later in the week should fix all. Throughout the entire pre purchase questioning, begging for an earlier production slot and tech support once installed....Uavionix has been amazing. They answer emails on weekends. Most recently they gave me the advice on threshold suggestions on Sunday at dinner time less then an hour after my email. You can’t get support like that anywhere. They truly are trying to earn a spot in this busness with an awesome product and incredible product support.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

wish they would produce a 1090 unit
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
JHKeeton171

Post by JHKeeton171 »

Anyone know why the TailBeacon (which does not include a strobe unit) is $150 more than the wingtip unit that does have a strobe light? The rest of the specs seem to all match.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I'd guess due to additional development cost due to the fact it is mounted on a control surface.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com