Horizontal stab.

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

Horizontal stab.

Post by ghostflyer »

My question is what clearance gap between the horizontal stabilizer and the fuselage at the leading edge of the stabiliser . Mine has about 1/16 gap . The skin of the horizontal stabilized in this area has a rubber “ U “ piece to stop chaffing on the fuselage .but there is a 1/16 gap. I think some aerodynamic drag could be happening also. I have noticed that the new Cessna 182 ,s have a small aluminium fillet that goes over the leading edge of the horizontal stab and is flush against the fuselage . I have looked at a 172 B and it has a 1/2 in gap between the fuselage and leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer.
n2582d

Re: Horizontal stab.

Post by n2582d »

Gap is less than 1/16” with the U channel in place on my B model.
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
For what it's worth Brown Aircraft Supply has a catagory of seals labeled "Stabilizer Seals" which are made from neoprene or vinyl. One of these might be a better option than the standard U channel although they look too wide to me. I see that Aircraft Spruce offers Beechcraft tail root silicone seal. Be aware that the latter is on the FAA's Unapproved Parts Notification list (where it gives the offender’s address in case the ghost of Blueldr wants to order it directly). :wink:
Gary
ghostflyer

Re: Horizontal stab.

Post by ghostflyer »

Well I have taken some advice and used “approved” silastic to form a fairing between the fuselage and horzontal stabilizer. Well the test flight ended up being my bi-annual check ride and me having gastric reflex [breakfast stalling also] on the first demonstration of a stall recovery. The result?? The rudder seems smoother and the elevators seem more responsive. My testing officer has many hours and very highly regarded in the industry and those were his words. He has done about 120 hours in my aircraft . Me?? Drinking heaps of water and a creaky voice. I passed my test just.
I have never been sick in a aircraft ever but it was my wife’s cooking .