iPad plus Paper Sectional Charts

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

iPad plus Paper Sectional Charts

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I am planning on purchasing a new iPad for VFR navigation in C170.

Newbie to the electronic.

Am assuming that aircraft regs still require paper Sectionals to be on board.

Planning on a spare back up batt for iPad.

What seems to be the most popular nav software to install on the iPad?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
ghostflyer

Re: iPad plus Paper Sectional Charts

Post by ghostflyer »

I have a iPad Pro,and have using it for about 3 years now and find it great .everything is updated continuously and it has many pages that I used to dream about when using paper maps. It has a listing of fuel around with costs, weather etc etc. however the app or program I am using is called Ozrunways and it’s australian only . However there is a USA equivalent called “Seattle Avionics” and that’s a very good app. I do not know the rules in the USA about carrying only electronic flight plans or maps . I do not even carry paper maps these days and a while ago I was ramp checked and offered my iPad to the CASA offical [similar to FAA] my iPad with W/B ,fuel log , flight plan ,he stormed off calling me a computer nerd. Gee , I didn’t get the chance to show him my license or medical certificate or maintenance release for the aircraft . I felt so left out and disappointed.
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

I don't believe paper charts are required if you have an iPad and up to date charts in your electronic flight program. I do believe in carrying paper charts with you in case the electronics fail. My paper charts are not necessarily up to date, but will keep me from getting lost using good old fashioned VFR navigation.

I use an iPad mini, but as noted by Ghostflyer others like the various sizes. I mount mine to the side of the windscreen with a suction cup so prefer the smaller size and it has worked well for me now for 3+ years. Others prefer kneepad or yoke mounts.

Two main flight programs out there and several lesser popular programs. Foreflight is the most popular I believe, with Seattle Avionics "FlyQ" right behind it. I use FlyQ because the company is local to me. Others swear by Foreflight. Both are good, and comprehensive. I'm sure others will chime in with the other programs available.

You can power your iPad either with a power point on the panel, or carry a large capacity battery such as an Ankar. I choose to power my GPS with the old cigarette lighter and the iPad with the battery so I don't have wires criss crossing my panel.

The Cessna wing vents do a good job of keeping the electronics cool, so not many problems with overheating when flying. I have pictures of my set up if you would like to see them, otherwise you can work out what you like best.

Part of your decision making will be determined by what flight program you choose and your ADSB solution if you are going to use ADSB. Foreflight works with Stratus products, and Garmin does not support FlyQ. The stratus 3 is compatible with FlyQ now. Look up the online pages, read, and ask questions on here.

There are a lot of advantages to the EFB's.
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
pdb

Post by pdb »

I have now flown about 4 times across the country, Ak to Va, using FlyQ in my IPad Air II as primary and my OLD Garmin hand held as backup. I only used the internal iPad gps with no external antenna or external GPS receiver and I only lost gps once for about 4 minutes. The data in FlyQ and FireFlight exceed the FAA requirement for flt planning.

I swear by FlyQ. It’s easy to use. Don’t leave home without it. Fear not TFRs. ForeFlight guys are equally enthusiastic about theirs.

That said:

Electronics fail, batteries die, etc. My backup is my Garmin. You need a backup; Garmin, old paper sections, whatever.
It’s also easier to start a fire with an old sectional.

The one drawback to FlyQ is that currently you can’t get Canadian charts though lots of eastern Canada up to PEI is shown on US sectionals. I carry Canadian paper charts in my way from Alaska to America.
Last edited by pdb on Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

You are required to have "current information", not paper charts.

I have been using Foreflight on my iPad and iPhone ever since it came out. It has everything I need to fly VFR and IFR in the USA and Canada.

I used Garmin Pilot when it first came out for a year alongside Foreflight. Garmin was too "busy" for me with lots of stuff I didn't want or need and strange format. Tech guys would probably like it but that's not me.

Foreflight lets you load it onto two devices on one subscription. If my iPad dies, the iPhone takes over.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

There is a free iPad app FltPlan Go that I've been using for years. Not as "featured" as ForeFlight but for flight planning and navigation its just fine. It started out as the original DUATS (anyone remember that?) and was just bought by Garmin so I expect that the features will increase in time.
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

hilltop170 wrote: Foreflight lets you load it onto two devices on one subscription. If my iPad dies, the iPhone takes over.
Actually ForeFlight lets you use 2 iPads and 1 iPhone at once.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

Absolutely love Foreflight running on an iPad mini. The "normal" iPad is too big for the cockpit in my opinion. I keep mine on a yoke mount. I also use an iPhone which also runs Foreflight as a backup in case of problems with the iPad, and is also used when a passenger wants to follow along with the progress of our flight. I have USB power on the panel and keep my electronics powered from that on anything longer than about 2 hours. I also keep a power brick in my flight bag as a backup power supply.

For my trip from Atlanta to Oshkosh this year I also carried a bound set of WAC charts from "Sky-Nav" - it includes the entire US, purchased once per year, and they send out monthly updates to keep it current. I figured if the entire electronic setup failed I would still have paper charts as a final backup. That said, outside of my Oshkosh trip I generally do not fly with paper backup in the plane.
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I love the Ipad mini (get the biggest one with the sim card) running Foreflight. Lots of reliable used resellers if you want to save some $$, or you can do the Craigslist thing if you are comfortable. Apple sometimes have refurbished units also.

Its a bit expensive, especially as I buy US and Canada. About two tanks of gas a year. They have a deal on now for 13 months for the price of 12 until midnight 26th.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

The code for the deal is FLYDAY18, worked for me.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
170C

Post by 170C »

As others said, keep one or more paper sectionals in your plane just in case of a failure with the iPad. I highly recommend the iPad's. I have a mini 2 and mini 4. First one purchased as a refurbished unit and saved lots of $'s. When I got the 4, 128 g memory wasn't available in refurbished mode. I use a Ram mount attached to the far left side of my panel where an old vor indicator once lived, but a Ram suction cup attached to the windshield will work also. Occasionally it may come off due to temperature changes. In either you will need to be cautious not to leave the iPad in direct sunlight if stopped for fuel, etc. as they often overheat. Has happened to me 3 times, but by holding in the slipstream for a bit it came back rather quickly. Never had it do so while flying into the sun. Stick it anywhere out of the sun when parked. I highly recommend ForeFlight. Regular or pro. Get an iPad with the built in GPS! I use that feature exclusively as I no longer have the two gps's I once had (one mobile and one panel mount).
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

170C wrote:... but by holding in the slipstream for a bit it came back rather quickly....
This gave me a chuckle as it reminded me of the time Ol'Gar lost his GPS out the window of the airplane on his way back from the Petit Jean fly-in a few years ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Gary had a good excuse though. He had a bad leg cramp as I recall and I can appreciate his situation. My reference to holding the iPad in the slipstream was while taxing, not in the air. I also used the fresh air inlet once to cool a unit to where it would work. Sporty's sells a cooling cradle for both sizes of iPads, but they are pricey. An EE friend of mine made his own for many dollars less, but if one included his time, cad drawings, etc, I don't know if he saved any money or not.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Technically, for part 91 operations, there is no FAR that specifically requires sectionals or any other chart or map to be carried in the aircraft at any time.

Having a current sectional on board was the get out of jail free card when the Fed asked you how you had knowledge of all pertinent information required of the flight, which is in a FAR.

So having at least a picture of a current sectional on a IPad or any other electronic device you can access, now is your get out of jail card. Of course most folks have more than a sectional, they have software such as Foreflight which cost money or Freeware such as Fltplan.com to manage and nicely tie all the sectionals you want, together as well as lots of other stuff.

You don't need a spare battery. Your aircraft has one. Get a USB plug for your cigar lighter.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

Bruce - to your point, I would also suggest the USB adapter needs to be able to handle at least 2.1 amps (I'm guessing at the ".1", but I believe it's on the greater side of 2amps) in order to keep an iPad "at charge" or to actually charge it. Some of the cheaper adapters will charge a phone but not an iPad, and while it they may slow the discharge you will still be on the backside of the power curve. A quick check of the specs should confirm the power output. I bought a cheapo one after purchasing 62C and on an initial cross country couldn't figure out why the iPad wouldn't charge. A year ago I had the shop put in a hard-wired USB adapter which will power and charge my Stratus and an iPad during long flights. And maybe a hair dryer. And perhaps a microwave oven. And a disco ball ...
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716