iPad plus Paper Sectional Charts

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: iPad plus Paper Sectional Charts

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

As for the USB charger, Yes I'd want a two plug 2.1 amp adapter. You don't want to buy a cheap example from the candy rack at the grocery store check out. Also, though I've not had trouble, some have had electrical noise from some adapters. I have about 5 of these, one in each car, one in the plane and one on my Harley. Don't recall paying much over $20 for any of them, one was a cheap candy rack example. They've all been in my plane at one time or another and I've had no noise and no trouble charging.

As for my backup, I have Fltplan on my IPhone to back up the Fltplan on my IPad mini (first edition) for my get out of jail free. I actually prefer my IPhone for navigating and have used it as much for such as my mini which I find a little big in my cockpit.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Paper sectionals are impossible to find in my area. FBO's no longer carry them. So for anyone interested in carrying paper sectionals as backups, Sporty's has a subscription service for them. The price per map is actually less than the list price and includes shipping. When a new map is issued, they send you an email asking whether you want it, and if you respond that you do, they automatically bill and send it to you. You get it in a couple days. I'm not particularly endorsing Sporty's, but it's a really convenient service if you like up-to-date paper maps.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I put my ipad into airplane mode when I don't need weather or data. I find it is the only way I can actually charge it while running Foreflight. I think constantly searching for a cell signal uses a lot of juice. Also beware cheap aftermarket cables, they often do not charge at the same rate, or even not at all.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

I've had a couple Dime Store USB chargers in my plane and none of them charge my iPad. I've never taken the time to troubleshoot but part of the problem may be my Voltage Regulator- my Amp Gauge is constantly up-down. I'm not sure if it's to the time of my LED Strobes or not.
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

FWIW....MyGoFlight specializes in this stuff. I use one of these: https://mgfproducts.com/dualmicro12-28volt/
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

daedaluscan wrote:I put my ipad into airplane mode when I don't need weather or data. I find it is the only way I can actually charge it while running Foreflight. I think constantly searching for a cell signal uses a lot of juice. Also beware cheap aftermarket cables, they often do not charge at the same rate, or even not at all.
If you have a properly rated USB adapter, it will charge an iPad (at least a mini) just fine. I use an AUKEY dual 2.4 amp charger in the airplane and keep a spare in the glove box. It keeps my iPad mini and Stratus 2 both charged to 100% on 3-hour plus flights. In a year and a half and about 140 flying hours I haven’t needed the spare.

The first couple of years with the iPad, I used the bound sectional books as a backup. Now I just use a fully charged iPhone, and I keep a current Michigan sectional in the side pocket just because MDOT sends a free one to each active pilot in the state each year.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:...and I keep a current Michigan sectional in the side pocket just because MDOT sends a free one to each active pilot in the state each year.
Is that the one that states "Not for Navigational Use"...? :lol:

(I pick one up from every state thru which I pass.) Texas won't put one out. :?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:...Is that the one that states "Not for Navigational Use"...? :lol: ...
Nope. Specifically states on the chart that it is “...designed primarily for VFR navigational planning purposes...”. Identical to the statement on sectionals except for insertion of the word “planning”. I assume navigational planning is a navigational use. :wink:

And as I said, it’s for backup anyway. Kinda like having a non-TSO’d flashlight in case the lights go out. :lol:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

As previously stated 91.103 requires being familiar with all available information but does not specify further. FltPlan Go is a free app for iPad, iPhone, Android, and even Windows and includes free Canadian charts. It was never part of DUATS but was purchased by Garmin.
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

As a point of interest, I have every chart ever bought since soloing my second time in 1967. They were 50 cents, but a lot of FBO's would just give them to you. The charts back then were printed with the navigation chart on one side and enough information on the back side that if you studied it, you could almost pass the private written test. :D
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

How 'bout this one Ed? Colored Airways and Radio-Range!
Attachments
DallasSectional3.jpg
DallasSectional2.jpg
DallasSectional.jpg
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

You might want to look at a Samsung Galaxy instead of an IPAD. The standard Galaxy has a GPS in it, whereas I believe you have to buy the cell enabled (more $$$) Ipad to get an internal GPS. While I've never heard anyone complain about an Ipad, I and a number of coworkers run Samsungs and we seem to be just as happy. Anyway, worth a look.

I've had pretty good luck with Avare, which is a free program. For VFR flying it pretty much does everything you'd want it to do. If I did a lot of IFR I'd probably upgrade to Garmin Pilot or Foreflight. Again, Avare is worth a look.

I'm a big fan of Flightplan for weather and flight planning, but haven't had good luck with it for navigation. I think I just need to spend more time with it, but Avare is so stupid easy I end up just doing that and flying (which is what I really want to do anyway, I'm not a computer person).

DEM
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

If by Flightplan DEM, you mean Fltplan.com, I agree it is not as intuitive to use while actually navigating the sky as Foreflight or the others that have been polished over the years and have set our minds to how we think softwares such as this should work. But we must remember, as of now, it is FREE, and it did not start life as a navigation program like the others. It can do many things Foreflight can do, we just haven't figured out how cause instructions are lacking. Try to find out how to change it the MPH vs Knots for example. It can be done, it takes a email to tech support to find the elusive menu to do it. Fltplan can do things Foreflight can't as of yet. Try using one account with multiple pilots for example.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

gahorn wrote:How 'bout this one Ed? Colored Airways and Radio-Range!
Don't have one of those George, I was only 3 years old. :lol:
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

gahorn wrote:How 'bout this one Ed? Colored Airways and Radio-Range!
I can't find Spicewood on that map and when did they move Ft. Worth so far west from Dallas?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"