Buying recon cylinders

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

Buying recon cylinders

Post by ghostflyer »

It was back in 1999 I was in a friends aircraft engine overhaul workshop having my continental cylinders overhauled and bored out to 10 thou oversize.[ i was helping , to keep the costs down] In his production line of overhaul , a batch of cylinders are done together . My job was to remove all the loose bits [pistons,valves ,valve springs etc] . Then it was cleaning time[my job again] [ I get all the glamour jobs] :lol: . However each cylinder was checked for part numbers and serial numbers if fitted. There was a number of cylinders that had a ident engraving of 007bug1 up to 007bug5 on them . For some reason it has stuck in my mind as I asked at the time about the strange numbering and was told some owners put their own numbers on them to ensure they get them back after going through a shop. Yesterday I was inspecting a Cessna 172 fitted with a continental and on 2 of the cylinders was 007bug3 and 007bug5. HEY! I helped overhaul these years ago . I said this to the owner. Nah, he replied , I bought them from a dealer in Sydney a couple of years ago new . Nooo, I helped overhauled these years ago . So back to the engine log books, yes 3 “new” cylinders were fitted 2 years ago and the release notes were in the back of the log book and but not drawn up by my friends overhaul shop. So how come 2 cylinders have this hand engraved ident numbers on them ? The release notes were drawn up by one of the largest aircraft distributor and aircraft spares sales in the country . ‘’ interesting”.
PS. I looked for the manufacturers paper work and found none .