Not listening

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

Not listening

Post by ghostflyer »

A couple of days ago thought I would go for a fly around the local area as it was a perfect day . Aircraft preflighted and paper work completed . Done this a thousand times . All good ,so I thought . Engine started and radios on . [headset on ] Cant hear local traffic easily . Turn up volume on both radio and com unit. Both at nearly 100% . However the speaker was switched on and could hear the traffic ok.the speaker is connected to the radio unit . So it must be the com unit . It’s 8 years old so anew one will be in order. Headset volume was at 100% also. Radio check came back ok and I was being read at 5 . Flight was ok ,as time went on headset talk sounded muffled.
After landing the headset audio volume slide was red hot . This is a dual slide in a module seperate from the headset. Started to pull the module apart and bingo it has 2 batteries [2 AA batteries] in there . They are 2 rechargeable batteries and I have never checked them .they have been in there for the last 7 years . I didn’t know they existed . They also had started to break down with some form of jelly on the bottom of each battery . 2 new batteries in and I had my eardrums nearly blown out . So MR Sennheiser ,you make a good headset but your batteries are lousy. They leak.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Not listening

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

8O

I find this interesting on many levels.

I'm the type of person who looks at something and in a few seconds has figured out how it works. Not to the level of components on a surface mounted board or enough of a understanding that I could actually build the device or machine, but basic enough how it works or theory of operation. If it requires power, how it gets the power for example. Doesn't matter, machine or electronics. I was lucky I guess to live in a time when things where made to be repaired and at the least one could disassemble them if you where inquisitive enough to want to know how it worked. My electronics knowledge started at age 4 when I was smart enough to wire my Lionel trains and of course disassemble them and learn such things as the difference between AC/DC, magnetism and how electro magnets worked. That lead to simple electronic circuits and so on. So basically there is nothing I own or operate I don't know how it works.

I find many, but not all mechanically inclined people are the same though I do know many mechanics who don't understand more than basic electricity, at least they know there is a positive and negative. I know a few electrical engineers who have bounced signals of the moon for the space program and developed technologies for the DOD they still won't talk about. But they can not figure out why their lawn mower won't start.

So I find it interesting when someone of obvious mechanical ability, is surprised they have batteries in that controller, which to me, is obvious. I find it interesting that the batteries operated for 7 years cause they didn't get charged by the operator and I'm pretty sure they couldn't have been charged by the audio phone jack power as that is way to little for the job. Perhaps the device was also plugged into AC power which would charge the batteries. In fact I'd bet on it. No way batteries operated the noise canceling for 7 years.

David you are lucky the corrosion didn't destroy your headset.

And what is this talk about an 8 year old com needing replacement. 90% of the avionics I operate are 30 years old.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
ghostflyer

Re: Not listening

Post by ghostflyer »

My aircraft headset wiring was done by a friend of mine who wired it up as a Boeing 737 [that’s all he does]it’s wired with a positive lead in the system so when a headset is plugged in with this facility it powers the headset [for noise canceling and phone connection]. He now tells me Bose headsets now have their own jacks and do the same .i have other sennnheiser headset [corporate style] that do not have batteries but similar control modules. These are good for hot weather flying ,as they are smaller and lighter.
The control module is long and thin , I just didn’t think it would contain batteries. [plus I have never read the user guide until now] Due to adverse climate conditions and the lack of facilities in this country having the best electronics is a must. New electronics these days are so cheap .ADF receivers are sitting in cupboards these days as GPS has taken over. But we have GPS black spots still .[horror]. I have to use a compass and watch .

The wiring in my aircraft while relatively new has been done by many due to the many STC gauges and other toys fitted .it conforms to our standard but I haven’t had that much input into its design. But saying that it’s no different to our newish 182 with its wiring done by the factory.