170B?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cparker

170B?

Post by cparker »

Does anyone know anything about this aircraft, or have opinions on it?

Thanks!

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?ca ... e=aircraft
lowNslow

Re: 170B?

Post by lowNslow »

Don't know anything about this particular aircraft but with probably $50,000 plus in mods and low time engine this actually LOOKS like a good deal. Looking a little closer, this is a 170A not a B.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

In the past a lot of time and money has been spent on this aircraft but checking the type of flaps and wing dihedral,I would say it’s a 170B. Check the serial number that will tell you the model . Have a close inspection for corrosion and see if flys straight . I would be asking for a check of the books also making sure all the STC,s are correctly notated . Damage history would be a concern also.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Registry says its serial# 19423, which falls in the range of 1950 A-models, but the flaps and dihedral definitely say B-model wings and struts. This isn't the first but it's definitely not common to see B wings on an A-model. Though it isn't a very good angle in the photo, the elevator shape looks like B-model as well. Look very close at the books and records to make sure its a legal conversion and not a data plate transplant.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

The advert does say 175 wings!
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I believe this airplane may have been owned by an Association member. I’ve seen pictures of it at fly-ins in Texas.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Wow, that's a lot of mods, and all good stuff. The 175 wings with 50 gallons are a particularly nice benefit with the larger engine. Sure wish I had them.
mit

Post by mit »

NO FLOAT KIT!
Tim
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Really, Tim has it right. No Float kit? :)

This is a A modified beyond a B when you consider the instrument panel. You could not spend enough time looking over the logs and interpreting them to consider if they are written in a fashion suitable to cover any questions. For example the 175 wings require B struts, B center a carry through spar, B flap handle and all the rigging and hardware for it as the A model stuff is different. Bet it doesn't have the A model fuel selector and if so how is that change covered. How about the B model elevator. Many would be interested in the approvals of the instrument panel and all involved there.

I know one thing, the owner of this aircraft, if not already a 170 expert, will need to become one, just to understand what they own.

Would I buy it? Maybe if I was looking for a 170 with a Lycoming and I wanted a highly modified aircraft. But having owned an A, with L-19 wings and B elevator and later B fuel selector and all the hardware associated, I understand what I'd be getting into. I did have a lot of fun with my 170 and likely would still own it if it hadn't been damaged in a wind storm.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Bruce
With the L-19 wings did you have those 60,deg flaps? If you did , OMG you would have had so much fun.what are the differences on the center section carry through spar ?
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

No I did not have L-19 flaps. That was yet another mod in my airplane , to install B model flaps.

The B model carry through is changed to allow for flap and aileron cable oulleys to be mounted.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com