170 Owners Near Portland, Oregon

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

TerriM

170 Owners Near Portland, Oregon

Post by TerriM »

The purpose of this post is to reach out to those that are fairly close to Portland, Oregon. I thought it might be fun to connect and potentially fly to breakfast once in a while. If this is of interest, how about posting a photo of you and your plane and a tell us about you! This will help us all get acquainted.

A bit about me.... My 1952 170B is kept at Twin Oaks. I've previously owned a C120 and a C140. Just a few months ago I started flying my 170, so I'm just starting to get comfortable with it. Before I started flying it, with a friend's help, we pulled over 50 lbs of outdated instruments and what seemed like miles and miles of wire. My panel is nicely updated. I removed the back seat and spiffed up the interior to make it my camping rig! I purchased my 29" Alaska Bushwheels before I purchased my airplane as inspiration of the fun I would have landing off pavement. I just love my plane and spending time in my hanger. I'm eager to improve my skills, meet new friends, and enjoy new adventures.

If you are near Portland, and would like to connect with other 170 owners, I hope to you post to this topic.

Terri
Cessna170BGal@gmail.com
Attachments
IMG_0328.jpg
Last edited by TerriM on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terri M
541-639-9045
seattlelights@gmail.com
c170b53

Re: 170 Owners Near Portland, Oregon

Post by c170b53 »

Duane Shockey, has his North South flyin yearly at Columbia Cal end of Sept. Good camp ground, local food and entertainment. Maybe a bit too far for what you had in mind. John Rivas often posts a flyin around the Seattle area. Not far if the weather is good. Or maybe pick a place and time and have your own at your favorite location/food restaurants and see if there’s interest. Weather is often the factor that affects attendance even when there’s interest.
On the way home from Oshkosh, I overnighted in Spearfish, avoiding weather. I met a couple in a 190 on the same mission heading to SEA. They mentioned, suggested that Ennis Montana as a great stop. Good for gas, possible place to stay and a killer bar. I thought Terri that you were once based there or thinking of doing so?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Terri,

Congrats on the upgrade to the 170. We have a monthly 170 fly-in lunch in the Puget Sound region. We also have a good number of off-airport and mountain flying regulars out of Snohomish, Harvey Field area. Are you going to be at the Independence Fly-IN & STOL competition next weekend? I will be coming down with my 55' 170B. I would love to meet ya.

Jon "Jughead" Counsell
Jugheadf15@yahoo.com
eight50-seven23-twozero72
TerriM

Post by TerriM »

Hi Jim and Jon, Thanks for the posts. Great info. I've flown into Spearfish. I love that area. I also visited Ennis last summer. Jon, I plan to fly to the STOL competition next weekend. I hope we can connect while at Independence. Terri
Terri M
541-639-9045
seattlelights@gmail.com
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Look forward to meeting you at Independence
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Hello

I'm over in Ellensburg Washington, and I'd certainly be up for meeting other 170 pilots and planes. Perhaps the WAAM in Hood River?
Attached is my bird at Indian Creek in Idaho. It's a 52 B model that has been shall we say well loved. It is a factory float plane that spent most of it's early life on floats in Canada. Currently it's on 8.50s and 180 gear. I removed the C145 when it was done and swapped it for a Lyc. O360. I've had this plane for about 15 years now. Years ago I entertained selling her to get a go-fast plane, but I'm glad I didn't and I doubt I will ever sell her, I've had to many good flights, close calls, learning experiences, and great memories.
Chris
Attachments
Indian Creek.jpg
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

JR CubBuilder

Did i see your plane awhile ago in the hangar that used to be part of the old FBO? If I remember correctly you might be a mechanic for them? We are always looking for more folks to fly our 170's with. I'll holler when we head that way or let me know if you are coming over to enjoy the Puget Sound region's great off-airport flying

Jughead
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

No you might be thinking of Ron’s plane, same year but he did the Continental IO360 conversion.