Part 3/5 Missouri to Washington, Trip Report - N3934V

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

counsellj

Part 3/5 Missouri to Washington, Trip Report - N3934V

Post by counsellj »

Most days in Wyoming feature plentiful, beautiful scenery and wind. Today the early summer greens filled all the meadows and we had smooth rides and a minimal headwind as long as we stayed below 1000’ agl.
Beautiful Spring Colors in the Badlands
Beautiful Spring Colors in the Badlands
The lower altitude kept us following along roads in some of the more rugged terrain and also allowed for better spotting of antelope, coyotes, deer and rodeo queens. Near Wright, Wyoming, which really isn’t near anything, we came across one of the states several gigantic open pit coal. The size of the pits, cranes, trucks and trains that work these mines is beyond belief.
I think they found the coal!
I think they found the coal!
Valley.
BIG!
BIG!
As we approached the Bighorn Mountain range we skirted the southern flanks. We picked a crossing spot that allowed a lesson in riding the uprising winds to gain free altitude, eventually topping out at 9700msl. Once clear of the Bighorns we dropped back down low to obtain a 100kt ground speed and enjoyed the interesting geological features of the Bighorn River.
Badlands
Badlands
We soon passed over Cody Airport at midfield and joined the left downwind to runway 4. 34V must have been showing off to his friends because my best landing of the trip occurred there at Cody as the 170 Convention was just getting going. While it was just a short 2-hour stop, we got to meet several members, admire the 20 or so other 170s on the ramp and grab a delicious lunch.
Red Rocks of Central Wyoming
Red Rocks of Central Wyoming