Wheel Pants/Fenders for a 170B and Field Approval

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Skyking8g7

Wheel Pants/Fenders for a 170B and Field Approval

Post by Skyking8g7 »

We have a pair of wheel pants for a 170B made by Lahti Aerospace. I have read about them on this forum but have not found any answers. We would like to install them but Matt has never gotten an STC or PMA for them. Our mounts are steel and his are advertised as Carbon Fiber, just as the pants are so I think ours are from Cessna originally. Field approvals might be my our only option but I have been told that the FAA/FSDO offices are trying to do away with approvals. I have also been told that if I can find someone that has a field approval that I would be able to use that as permission for the installation. Anybody have one or know anything about this topic?
GAHorn

Re: Wheel Pants/Fenders for a 170B and Field Approval

Post by GAHorn »

Skyking8g7 wrote:We have a pair of wheel pants for a 170B made by Lahti Aerospace. I have read about them on this forum but have not found any answers. We would like to install them but Matt has never gotten an STC or PMA for them. Our mounts are steel and his are advertised as Carbon Fiber, just as the pants are so I think ours are from Cessna originally. Field approvals might be my our only option but I have been told that the FAA/FSDO offices are trying to do away with approvals. I have also been told that if I can find someone that has a field approval that I would be able to use that as permission for the installation. Anybody have one or know anything about this topic?
FAA is doing away with FSDO's period. But Field approvals are still possible (although not the ad hoc "good ol' boy" methods anymore.) The intent is to standardize the process. Before spending money on modifications, visit with the nearest FAA office directly and get the facts/put your proposals before them. Then you and your AP/IA can proceed. The worst thing you can do is operate on rumor or do the mod...then ask for approval.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
PARKS

Re: Wheel Pants/Fenders for a 170B and Field Approval

Post by PARKS »

I just saw an ad for original Cessna 170 wheelpants FOR SALE $ 2,000 with brackets - on Barnstormers. Have seen others sell for that price. perhaps that helps.
Hans