What is the planes value?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: What is the planes value?

Post by GAHorn »

flyboy122 wrote:Is this your first plane? If so, do NOT buy a project! Go find one that's in annual, flying regularly, and generally ready to go. Yeah, you might pay more, or get higher times for the same money, or miss a "deal". It will be worth it in the long run. Owning an airplane is an educational experience as much as learning to fly one is. You no more want to learn to own on a project than you would want to learn to fly in a Pitts.

I've passed up a lot of great deals over the years (took a couple too). At the time you think you'll never one as good as that again, but you do.

DEM
Excellent advice, All Around and by all previous posts. The attraction of a "barn find" is powerful. But they are invariably a lot more expensive than finding an old car and putting new tires and a battery in it and driving it away.
The best thing a new owner can do is.... find the BEST example of a FLYING example you can afford. You will be many dollars and years of work ahead of the game because you will be flying an already airworthy example instead of constantly writing checks to replace what the previous owner likely thought was a great deal.
Ask yourself, "Am I buying this because I need a project to work on and spend money on???" or "Am I buying this to go fly my family around in safely?"
IMO
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)