Going to Alaska

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

flyboy122

Going to Alaska

Post by flyboy122 »

Hi Folks,

I'm going to Anchorage next week to work at the Airman's Assoc. Show. Having never been there before I decided to take my wife and go a few days early and see some sights. Any recommendations? We were going to head up to towards Talkeetna and take a ride around Denali but it seems like the ride companies don't get started until later in May and I don't really want to try and rent something and fly myself. (I know enough about mountain flying to know that I don't know enough about mountain flying!) So looking for any ideas that might be of interest for a propeller head.

Thanks,
Dennis
KG

Re: Going to Alaska

Post by KG »

Hi Dennis,

It is a little early for the sight seeing operators to be running. My buddy who works at Denali Park said they have quite a bit of snow still on their runway. Probably won't be flying off of it until mid May at the earliest. Some of the operators at Lake Hood might be flying though. Check with Rust's or Regal... they can either fly you or point you in the right direction.

You can spend a day easily around Lake Hood, right next to the Airman's Show. The Aviation Museum is worth a visit and there are plenty of airplanes to gawk at.

A drive south around Turnagin Arm toward Seward or Kenai, maybe even all the way to Homer, is very scenic. You'll find less snow down that way rather than going north toward Denali

How long will you be there? I won't be there for the Airmen's Show but expect to be in Kenai by the 10th.

Keith
53 170B
mit

Post by mit »

You should drive up to Alaska after you get to Anchorage. I might be at the trade show not sure yet.
Tim
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

Hi Keith,

I'm leaving Sunday night right after the show on a red eye home. We'll really only have Wednesday and Thursday to bum around.

Others have recommended Seward, so that's on our list. If no flying adventure, that's ok. It will just give me an excuse to go back!

Dennis