Reached out to MT Propeller

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

flyboy122

Re: Reached out to MT Propeller

Post by flyboy122 »

sfarringer wrote:Guess that explains why no one has it on a C170!

Seems like their business model is kind of self-limiting, but apparently they have all the business they want!

I work for an OEM, and every day we get calls along the lines of "if you'd only certify XYZ I'd be a customer!" When we get enough of those we do it. Funny thing, when I call most of those people back they seem to have lost their check book. That's ok because I factor that in, and for most part they were well intentioned. They tell a bunch of people and I eventually sell anyway. But the point is that as an OEM you have to really, really be careful about where you stick your R&D dollars. We can't chase every opportunity.

If you are wary of funding their development (and taking my OEM hat off and putting my customer hat on....I would be), then spread the risk. Cessna built 5000 170's. Find 10-15 other people to go in on roup buy. Each throw in $1500 and go to MT with that. Putting my OEM hat back in, if I can get15 customers to put money in, even a little bit, it's getting done.

DEM
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Or talk to John Nielsen at Flight Resource. He has many STCs for MT installations. That's really what you're talking about here, isn't it? An STC for installing the prop on an O300?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Each engine/prop/installation has unique vibration characteristics that require investigation. It's beyond me, but it costs money to do that research/approval process...all done in the interests of safety-first, then practicality, then profitability. When the Continental engine was dropped in order to use the Lycomings Cessna had already purchased for the Cardinal fiasco... this engine lost it's future market and it's development-attraction to OEMs.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
G280driver

Post by G280driver »

There have been some more developments and all hope is not lost.

Give me a little time to tighten up the loose ends and I’ll report back.
1953 170B “Deuce” 25582
1951 170A “Blue Lightening” Sold 20021
suntiet

Post by suntiet »

Talked to them at the AK Airmen gathering this weekend, They said they made a fixed pitch for our 8 bolt engines and since it's a wooden prop it falls under the TCDS. Anyone have any experiacne using MT fixed Pitch? I am looking for performance like with the 8042 seaplane prop?
Trumpetrhapsody

Post by Trumpetrhapsody »

G280driver wrote:There have been some more developments and all hope is not lost.

Give me a little time to tighten up the loose ends and I’ll report back.
Any updates? I've reached out to Flight Resource to see if they have any performance data for the MT 80" Ultra on the C145/O300, and what they thought about the electric CS option.
Chris
N9998A 1950 170A
Northwest Arkansas