What’s the story of how you got your 170?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Re: What’s the story of how you got your 170?

Post by 170C »

Nice story Arash. You have quite a history with 44C.
Have you had a chance to work any more on your RC model?
You are one of our assn’s younger members I see. We need more folks your age 8)
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

Looked on and off at 170's for a few years, but never real serious. Then my wife became pregnant with our second child. I took a gamble and said if we are going to have a 4 person family we needed a 4 person plane. Pregnancy must screw with brain, because unbelievably she said ok! I had decided I wanted a 180hp one as I had flown many years in my stock powered PA12, and while flying on the wings and all that purist stuff was great, I decided my next plane was going to have POWER. Not even a couple weeks after my wife uttered ok, an Avcon converted B model came up on Trade A Plane way to cheap. I emailed him immediately and hoped for the best.

Turns out it was a broker who didn't realize what he had. 30 people had emailed him the first night it was posted (a Friday night no less). I was number 2. Unfortunately for me number 1 said he'd take it. Darn, missed it. Well....not so fast. I sell new aircraft for a living, and I know that deals often fall through. So for the heck of it I called him 3 weeks later just to see. "Well, actually...." The plane flunked the prebuy due to a rusty cam. The broker knew he had sold it too cheap anyway, so they were going to overhaul the engine and relist it for a premium price.

I talk for a living, so I chatted him up and got the story. Pretty typical: a guy's pride and joy, owned for years, got sick so it sat, died, and now family was getting rid of it. I took a shot and said I'd take it as is, bad engine and all. The family could cash out now, not have to fund and overhaul (which are always fraught with surprises), and not have to screw with it. Told him I wasn't a flipper, was going to use it for my family. It worked! They took the deal.

Told them put it back together, put a ferry permit on it, and I'd fly it home and fix it. Well, not so fast. The Pontiac FSDO wouldn't give the ferry permit. Their reasoning was a ferry permit was to get the plane to a place for repair, and it was at a place for repair. Well that's BS, but we found out later they usually do jets and just were reluctant. This led to one of the more amusing conversations I've had with the FAA. On the phone arguing with the fed we hear his boss in the background "Is that the plane over at so and so's?" Yeah. "Oh just give them the damn permit!"

I arrive to pick up the plane. They'd run it a number of times, all was good, but then the regulator fried. A new one was a couple days away. "Is the battery topped off?" Yeah. "Well I have a handheld so we only need it to start it once at my fuel stop and for about 30 minutes of Class C." I had never flown a 170, and there was no opportunity for dual on a ferry permit. My last 600 hours had been in the super cub so I climbed into the right seat to put my hands in the right place. All set to go the old guy who owned the shop poked his head in the cockpit and said, "Remember, this plane hasn't flown in 6 years" and slammed the door. Umm...gulp! (Note: Flying this airplane without getting dual first was NOT one of my better ideas.)

Survived takeoff, turned out, and found out my 2 year old managed to disable the GPS on my tablet. Quite a feat considering I didn't know how to (which means I couldn't turn it back on!) Fortunately had a back up 296 and made it to Gary, IN, where the wind was blowing 25.....right down the runway. Thank goodness. Made one of the slowest, easiest landings I've ever made (B model flaps are cool!). Cheap fuel cuz they were remodeling, was back in the air soon. Turned the corner and rode that 25mph tailwind all the way home!

Overhauled the engine, sold the PA12, and 250 hours still love the plane!

DEM
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I started my flight training the summer after high school, 1970. My first "instructor" was my good buddy Hugh that I had grown up with at school. We had gone to grade school and Junior High together but went to different High Schools. I saw him at the Dallas Public Library when we were both researching our senior themes after not seeing him for 3 years. I asked him what he had been doing for fun and he said, "I learned how to fly!". I asked how he did that and he said his dad had been a Navy pilot in WWII and taught him (although he was not a current instructor) and he would "teach" me if I was interested. Hugh had found a real instructor and got his Private, hence his ability to "instruct" me. (BTW, Hugh retired from Southwest Airlines as a Senior Captain in October, 2017)

So I started "lessons" at the airport where Hugh flew his $400.00 Sheriff's auction airplane, an Aeronca L-3 Defender. The engine quit on my first flight and I was amazed you don't automatically die if the engine quits, I was hooked. He let me fly for a couple of hours but not land or take off. I had to have more....

Hugh introduced me to the local instructor and I spent the next year trying to fly an hour a week depending on weather and whether I had the $12/hr rental fee on my $1.72/hr part-time job earnings, $7.00/hr for the 65hp PA-11 wet and $5.00/hr for the instructor. One day a 1946 Taylorcraft BC-12D was parked at It the airport with a For Sale sign in the window, $1800.00 Firm, and I was smitten. I had a1970 Kawasaki 500 3-cylinder motorcycle at the time that I had never wrecked and a 1965 Impala fastback with a 327 high performance, Muncie 220-low 4-speed, and 4.11 rear end. Sold both and closed the T-Craft deal without a pre-purchase inspection knowing nothing about the airplane. Ignorance is bliss. I flew it for two years and one set of new surplus WWII spark plugs for 50 cents a piece. Annual inspection was $20 and done after church one Sunday afternoon by an IA in his suit and black patent leather shoes. True story. Larry Risley, founder of Mesa Airlines.

Then, one day in 1973, a Cessna 170A showed up at the airport with new paint and interior and a freshly overhauled O-300D engine and a For Sale sign in the window, $7500. I thought it was the most beautiful plane I had ever seen. Talked to the owner who was willing to give me $2500.00 trade-in on my T-craft. I only had to come up with $5000.00 which I did not have but I did have an account at the Dallas Teacher's Credit Union and they lent me the money with no job or collateral and a full-time college student. My mom was a teacher in Dallas at the time and she may have co-signed but never told me if she did. Paid off the loan in two years.

The rest is history. I flew the 170 for 11 years in Texas, flew it to Alaska in 1983 when I moved up there, then sold it to a friend at work for $12,000.00 in 1984 after 1100 hours with the stipulation he had to give me first option if he ever sold it. I bought it back in 2006 for $12,000.00 per our original agreement after 22 years and another 400 hours flying time. Of course, by that time it had been 38 years and 1750 SMOH since its last engine overhaul and restoration so if he had given me the plane I would still be upside-down by the time the current engine overhaul and restoration was finished. That was fine with me.

The restoration took from 2006 until 2009 and was performed by multiple shops in Alaska and Arkansas and came out the end with excellent results. Mike Patterson of Knik, Alaska built the engine and Wick Air, Wasilla, AK did the instrument panel, firewall work, and some airframe upgrades. Del Lehman of Mountain Airframe, did the bulk of wing and fuselage rebuilding, Darrel Mos of AMOS Aircraft Painting, and Rose Aircraft Interiors, all in Mena, Arkansas all did excellent work. I have put an additional 400 hours of trouble-free flying on it since then.

It's NOT for sale!
Last edited by hilltop170 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

I wrote this the day that "Baby" (62C) joined our family six months ago.

++++

"You should fly again."

My beautiful bride uttered these words a few months ago. But I heard, "I love you."

We all have good junk in our souls, you know. Stuff that helps define bits and pieces of who we are, stuff that recharges us. Love my family dearly, love to run and the peeps I run with, love to cook. Love to eat, brew beer, a number of hobbies that trail me like so much shrapnel.

But damn do I also love to fly.

Some know this, many don't. Grew up in southern Minnesota, fascinated with airplanes - was always looking at the sky. Built models, flew balsa rubber-band-powered jobs and later radio controlled gliders. Complete computer flight simulator nerd. Worked at the local community airport all through high school to save money for college. Fueled airplanes, scrubbed floors. Every so often got a seat on a small plane as a favor. Jumped out of one, once.

Back in 2000 I started taking flight lessons and earned my private pilot license. We flew a bunch as a family: went to airshows, the proverbial $100 hamburger, to see friends and family. Went up for no reason, and sometimes very good reasons. Made some very good friends at the airport and within the flying club I belonged to.

And then stopped when we moved to Georgia thirteen years ago.

Well, not completely, and it's not all tears, Kleenex and violins. I flew to the Oshkosh airshow in Wisconsin twice with friends (and camped next to the plane, which is an amazing experience for a week), flew to Virginia once, helped ferry a friend's plane from Houston to Atlanta. But for all intents, and purposes, pretty much stopped. Money and time and attention willingly went to all the other purposes and calls in life.

She really knows how to get under my skin, Sara. She knows the buttons to push to piss me off. Sometimes I deserve it, sometimes it's delivered with that naughty funny smirk she gets on her face. She also knows how to unlock the sh!t that I bury really deep down in my soul that I hide from the world.

"You should fly again." I heard, "I love you."

I have some fairly sharp edges in my psyche and as I have aged (I'm still young so shut up) they have become even sharper. I shave with a brush and soap each morning. Make my coffee from beans I've roasted. Pretty opinionated on things that matter. Don't rush me on those things that demand quality, and I appreciate quality. Cloth napkins at the dinner table, candles. We have more fresh flowers around these days. For the first time I begrudgingly listed my hair color as "gray" this year. I can still run a marathon so at least I got that going for me.

"Buy a plane, " she said. I heard, "I love you."

So we did.

We've become the latest in a long line of stewards and caretakers of this fine 1950 Cessna 170a. The previous owners are a nearly-retired airline captain in South Carolina who has also flown the aerobatic circuit for many years, and his son (they own five airplanes, btw) who is not many years older than my son and is a pilot for one of the regionals. They are only selling the plane because the son wants to buy a different one to learn aerobatics. God, it's lovely. It flies nice and tight, stable, comfortable in addition to looking good as you walk up to it. I tied it down at the airport yesterday for the first time as "our" plane. Cleaned the windshield just because I could, just way I used to do it when I was sixteen those many years ago in high school. You tend to remember the smell of the plexi cleaner and avgas. It gets in your blood.

"You should fly again," she said. I heard, "Let's go places together."

Welcome to the family, Baby. #BabyLovesToFly
Attachments
62C Panel.jpg
62C exterior.jpg
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I’ll be 32 in May. I was five months and nine days old (but who’s counting) when 56D was brought into the family by my grandfather as a legal guardian. I still have the check stub for $8,950 for the airplane in my pile of records.

Dad kept the airplane until 2008, she spent a few years in Buffalo, NY until January 5, 2013, when my friend brought the old girl home again. I was hired by PSA Airlines on the 19th of this month, and the only reason I am in this boat is because I wanted to get my private just to fly “my” 170, since my lackadaisical approach to flight training from 1995-2015 caused my separation from the airplane to begin with.

My time as non-equity partner is coming to a close, hopefully, and 56D will be the first and last airplane I’ll ever own. With any luck, I’ll do a Richard Pulley and get a 180 and 195, but 56D is my one true love.

One 170 is never enough, so Arash, you can adopt me and keep 44C in the family. I’ve always liked 55s as much as 52s.
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Great news on PSA Ryan :D :D :D
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

Ryan are you CLT based? If so maybe we can grab coffee (in the morning) or something else (in the evening) sometime :D
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
Pdogace

Post by Pdogace »

Sweet Caroline (1949C)

So like all great ideas in life... I was sitting around one evening with my wife drinking a cocktail. I looked at her and said "Honey, we should sell our Harleys." Without blinking an eye, she said "Ok, lets buy a plane!!!"

Now the rest of the story.

I grew up in NC, learned to fly in high school, graduated, went to Embry-Riddle, and was flying part 121 at age 22. I did not grow up in a aviation family, just flew RC airplanes and worked at a grocery store, panty hose factory, dirt farm, and several other not so glamorous jobs to pay for my addiction to flying. My wife grew up near Denton TX on an airpark. Her family always owned airplanes. Her favorite was the family super cub, which was a L-21B with documented service during WWII. She also learned to fly in high school, graduated, went to UF, North Texas, then flight safety. She then got a job banner towing in South FL. While living there in 2004, the super cub was destroyed during a hurricane. Instead of fixing it, she sold it to the banner tow outfit for parts, which turns out was a big regret. The good news is, instead of the company making it a work dog, the airplane was restored and we can fly it again someday. After a few years banner towing, she too starting flying part 121.

We meet at a bar in Atl, fell in love, got married, and started a family. That brings us full circle because, when she was pregnant with our first boy, I suggested we sell our Harleys. Riding bikes was something that we enjoyed doing together. With our first son on the way, I did not want our Harleys to rot away in the garage from lack of use. I had never owned a plane and was scared to death of owning one due to how much they cost to maintain, or so I thought. She assured me that you can never rationalize the cost of a plane and we should just go for it!

So the search was on. We had a budget of $30,000, she said it HAD to be a tailwheel, I said it had to have 4 seats, and we both wanted some cool factor. The first airplane I was looking for was a Stinson 108-3. We also looked at a Pacer/Clipper, and early Maule M-4's. We looked for a good airplane for almost a full year with nothing meeting our expectations. I flew with a friend that suggested I go look at a 170, so we did. After we looked and crawled around in one, it was on the list. Finally, after almost a full year on a Jan 2013 Thursday evening, a beautiful 170B popped up on Barnstormers. I called the seller on Friday. He said a guy was coming on Sat to look at it. I called Sunday and he said it was still available. I just happened to have a overnight in Manchester NH on Mon and asked if he could meet me before work that Tues morning at 7 am. He agreed. On that trip I just so happened to be flying with a guy that had a long EZ and was flying a 172 with an o-300 on it. He jumped at the chance to go look at an airplane and agreed to be the bad guy. My wife gave me the green light to use my best judgement and the stage was set. We showed up, looked the plane over, and looked through the logs. I asked what he thought and he said, "If you don't buy this 170, I will!" I closed the deal and the rest is history.

We have owned 49C for 4 years now and never looked back. She has been a great plane. My only worry is what will happen when my 2 boys grow older. I may have to trade up to a 195. Only time will tell. Picking up 49C and flying her home from NH to GA after not flying in general aviation for 13 years and NEVER flying a tailwheel is another story for another day.
Attachments
1949CFamily.jpg
Preston
1954 C170B "Sweet Caroline"
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

IA DPE wrote:Ryan are you CLT based? If so maybe we can grab coffee (in the morning) or something else (in the evening) sometime :D
My training date is 12 March. The timeline looked to be 13.5 weeks from start to end of IOE. I will be CLT based; they are awarding your chosen base at the end of training. I live in Greensboro, so it’s the easiest commute for me; as well as having in-laws that live in the Concord area. Either option is agreeable for me. If the number in the directory is a 336 area code, that’s my current number. Feel free to call or text any time. I love meeting fellow TIC170A members!
Pdogace

Post by Pdogace »

Congrats on your first airline job! I have 2 words of wisdom that I received and I will pass on to you. Always have FUN and remember your one of the lucky ones that gets to do what you love. And second is to ALWAYS, Always, live below your means. This industry is crazy so you will never know if you might have to take a pay cut to go to another job. Feel free to hit me up if you ever have a overnight in West Palm Beach (PBI).. Good Luck and congrats again!
Preston
1954 C170B "Sweet Caroline"
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

Preston has good advice. I’d like to add to always open yogurt facing away from you in flight. 8)
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Pdogace wrote:Congrats on your first airline job!... ALWAYS, Always, live below your means. ...
And...you'll more closely resemble an Airline Captain! (They're so cheap....they made Jack Benny retire from comedy!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

It actually results from the acquisition of survival skills in this industry. :cry:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Growing up on a farm in west TX, I always liked airplanes. Could see them on occasion when they were going into or out of Abilene Municipal Airport and the smaller ones out just flying by our farm. Never could figure out how to afford to fly (still haven't) as I felt one had to be in the military, airlines or rich. Finally determined the first two weren't required, but the third one sure would help! Got involved in a museum in Fort Worth with the goal of restoring a B-36 (big enough goal?). We moved it across FW and accumulated numerous other planes. Then at some point my wife, at Christmas 1983, gave me a check and said that all I ever did was fool with old, non flying planes, read aviation magazines and go to airshows so while this check won't pay for all the training, it would get me started. Well she opened Pandora's Box. Started my training and three weeks before my check ride we purchased a C-182, kept it a few years, sold it and I bought a C-140A. Kept it for a few years and sold it so I could buy a 4 place Cessna. Looked long and hard to find a 170 like I wanted. They were either dogs or beyond my budget. I had tunnel vision that I could only spend a set amount. After flying all over west and northern TX looking at 170's I spotted a plane at Northwest Regional in the FW area. First thought it was a C-180 (wished it had of been), but upon closer investigation found it to be a '56 C-172 that had been converted to a tail wheel plane. That was in September 1989 and 6888A has been part of our family ever since. She's taken us over much of the US and into Canada a couple of times mostly thanks to the International Cessna 170 Association. The assn has been like a family and we have met so many folks and have traveled to so many places. Hope to continue to do so for a long time.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Azpilot

Post by Azpilot »

170B+ A.K.A. "Mistress"

My father and I have bought and sold aircraft over the years. We had just sold a Aeronca L-16A to a gentleman that was in Missouri. We took some of the money and purchased two Interstate Cadet projects that we began to restore. Along the way we had seen N3JX pop up for sale for a few times, but he always wanted cash on top of my aircraft. We eventually settled and I've had it ever since.

So far its been a damn good and quick airplane.
1952/1996 C170B Turbo. Why? Because, thats why.
CFI/CFII at KDYL
Bramlett

Post by Bramlett »

Dad had a 170B N2811C (fellow member owned now) when i was a kid. Around 2010 I finally decided to get an airplane and it was a 170B. Found a nice one in California and rode the big iron out to bring her home. Was a great flight, took dad with me and we had a great trip back to Alabama.
Regards,

Patrick

Stable fall, face down, frog modified