IPad Mount

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Hineywheel Bill

IPad Mount

Post by Hineywheel Bill »

Curious as to which type IPad mount folks are using in 170’s, knee pad, yoke mount, or suction mount. I will be purchasing one shortly and would appreciate some input. I’m thinking a knee pad would cause me to look down too much and a yoke mount would put the IPad too close for my eyes to focus on and I’m not all that keen on suction mounts. Input from users of these devices will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Owner of:
1954 C170B N1921C S/N 26066
Former owner of:
1948 C170 N3815V
1951 C170A N1490D
1946 C140 N76447

Re: IPad Mount

Post by Sticky »

I use ForeFlight on an iPad mini 2. I originally tried a full-size iPad on a kneeboard but I didn't like it. Mounting the mini on the yoke would affect handling and make it hard to use IMO. I tried a suction cup mount the the side of the windscreen which worked OK, but I finally settled on mounting it to an empty blanking plate on the left side of the panel as in the photo. It keeps it secure and doesn't block any instruments. I considered putting it where my Garmin Aera 500 is now but decided not to. I'm quite happy with the set up for visibility and usability.
Attachments
IMG_9101.JPG
--
Bill Snedden
C-GZRD
1953 Cessna 170B (#25597)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLBHblJNFQE
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I use an articulating yoke mount and don’t find it to be a problem. A big advantage is that I can usually find an angle that doesn’t cause glare.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

I use the RAM yoke mount for the iPad mini with the "small claw" attachment to the yoke. It has a small articulating arm between the claw and the actual mount which allows complete adjustment of angle. I have it oriented vertically. Initially I used a full-sized iPad but found that it was just too big for the yoke. Interesting enough, I found that you need to have the iPad "upside down" so that the power button isn't hidden by one of the mount support points.

Specific to your questions/concerns: With the iPad mounted the way that I have it, I find that I can adjust the angle to minimize glare, it's in a good position for "focus" - no too far away, not too close, it doesn't obscure any of the major instruments, and it doesn't interfere with the yoke or ptt. You can get the entire assembly from Aicrcraft Spruce for around $60.
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
Hineywheel Bill

Post by Hineywheel Bill »

Thanks all, I will take this all under advisement.
Owner of:
1954 C170B N1921C S/N 26066
Former owner of:
1948 C170 N3815V
1951 C170A N1490D
1946 C140 N76447
brianm

Post by brianm »

I like the RAM stuff because it's modular. For flying in the 170 I prefer to use the iPad mini mounted with the "claw" on the yoke. When I fly IFR in 172s I swap the claw for a suction cup and stick it on the window.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
JSwift

Post by JSwift »

I use the articulating “my go flight” yoke mount with an iPad mini 2. Works great and very functional. Pro very sturdy and easy to mount / remove the iPad using their mount system. Con more expensive than the Ram system which is what I went to for mounting cameras. The modularness (new word?) of the Ram hardware is appealing.

Have fun. Go Fly.... Repeat as needed
N2594D, 1952 170B #20746
Near Enfield, CT
Let's go fly!
dstates

Post by dstates »

I know I'm bringing back an older thread, but I'm about to order a mount for my mini iPad. I'd like to keep it in my case so I'm looking at two different RAM products. Does anyone have experience with these? Any preferences? Pros or Cons?
Thanks, Doug

RAM® X-Grip® Universal Holder for 7"-8" Tablets with Ball
ram_x.jpg
RAM® Tab-Tite™ Spring Loaded Holder for 8" Tablets with Cases
ram_grip.jpg
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

The spring-loaded example didn't work for me, I didn't feel like it was secure, though in all fairness I did not have a very thick case for the mini at the time and a thicker case might make it more secure. I use the "x" style for my iPhone if I need to mount it on the other yoke (for my wife to follow the flight, or watch movies) but not the iPad. It works well with the phone.

As an aside, since my earlier post in this thread for my own personal use on my side of the plane I've migrated to the "MyGoFlight" brand of holder for my iPad. Though more expensive I've found that it holds the mini a little more securely and there is less actual pressure on the screen itself; it's also very easy to quickly rotate the iPad from portrait to landscape mode depending upon my mood. Note that I use the mini only for flight (and the occasional book or magazine) and I keep it in the MyGoFlight case/holder at all times.

Case: https://mgfproducts.com/collections/ipa ... 3297165427
Yoke Mount: https://mgfproducts.com/collections/fle ... 4663841907

Again, 'tis spendy - but I like it.
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I’ve been using the spring loaded mount in your second photo for my iPad Mini for about 6 years. I put the iPad in it without its case and it feels quite secure. I use an articulated yoke mount, and I’m always able to find an angle to reduce sun glare to a readable level.
B9667F7A-BBE2-45F6-AA37-3968920710A5.jpeg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
170C

Post by 170C »

I have the X or spider mount for my iPad mini as well as another mount. The X mount seemed to allow more vibration in my particular situation. However, it worked quite well on our trip to the Newton, KS convention where I attached via a suction cup to the rh side of Byrd's 170. Because I have the left hand panel space to do so, I use a RAM ball mount attached to the far side of my instrument panel, plus a RAM double socket arm and a RAM iPad mini 4 mount. I like this set up as it permits me to have the iPad mini close by and it doesn't interfer with my instruments (a little on the vsi, but no issue). I have never liked things mounted on my yokes. The only issueI have had with the holder is that I remove my iPad very frequently and after quite a number of years, the upper part with the roller on it that snaps over the edge of the iPad broke. The good news is RAM guarantees their products and after sending them a photo of the problem, they sent me a new one. Will be interesting if that warranty goes beyond one replacement.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
TFA170

Post by TFA170 »

I have a pivot case - it uses a little square thing that snaps into the back of the hard case and can accept RAM ball mount accessories. When not in use, the cover snaps into the square back and magnetically closes and turns off the iPad. I have mounted a standard diamond-ball RAM mount to a blanking plate and use a medium arm. It articulates plenty and I can always find a non-glare position.

I considered the yoke mount, but didn't want to have it that close and moving with the yoke, but that's just me.

When I fly for work, I have a dual suction cup mount that takes a ram ball and a double articulating arm for my application. It also has the pivot mount square thing. So, I just carry my iPad to whichever plane, pop the cover off and slide it onto the square mount and away I go.

I really like the pivot system. It's not the most inexpensive, but it really works well for me. YMMV
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

Otter box defender with the removable hard case velcrowed to the panel. The shell lives on the panel, and the iPad (that's still protected by the rubber layer of the otter box) gets tossed in my flight bag. Powered from the cigarette lighter. Super happy.
Attachments
IMG_5162.jpeg