Ragwing 1948 C170 Classiest Classic ?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Ragwing 1948 C170 Classiest Classic ?

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Recently saw a 1948 rag wing up close. Impressed. Owner loves his airplane.

Anecdotal memories. Why rag wing? Cessna had left over fabric from prior production. Bamboo bomber?

Parts bins with left over fuel tanks (C140) So 1948 is blessed w three (3) fuel tanks. Really?

Whatever - it was very good.

I want to learn more about the 1948 Classic Rag wing.

What was the cloth covering on original wings? Is the exact cloth available today?

My biggest question is about how many months in 1948 was it offered for sale? When did it start and when did it end?

finis
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
GAHorn

Re: Ragwing 1948 C170 Classiest Classic ?

Post by GAHorn »

MoonlightVFR wrote:Recently saw a 1948 rag wing up close. Impressed. Owner loves his airplane.

Anecdotal memories. Why rag wing? Cessna had left over fabric from prior production. Bamboo bomber?

Parts bins with left over fuel tanks (C140) So 1948 is blessed w three (3) fuel tanks. Really?

Whatever - it was very good.

I want to learn more about the 1948 Classic Rag wing.

What was the cloth covering on original wings? Is the exact cloth available today?

My biggest question is about how many months in 1948 was it offered for sale? When did it start and when did it end?

finis
The so-called "ragwing" Cessna 170 was derived from the C-140 ragwing by increasing span of the existing wing. (It's why the ailerons are perceived as a bit "under-powered" for the span and the airplane is considered by some to suffer a slow "roll-rate", especially in crosswinds.) Certification rules required an increase in fuel capacity to serve the increased horsepower of the C-145 engine, and since the wing is already designed for the little 120/140 12.5 gal tanks... that's what was used. The most common fabric in early airplanes was Grade-A linen and butyrate dope... but I haven't confirmed that is what was used.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)