Landing ROUGH ICE

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Landing ROUGH ICE

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I recently viewed a video of a C170 landing on rough very rough ICE.

The landing gear was thrashing violently and sound of it was on the audio.

I could only think of one word Vanadium Steel.

Why would one deliberately land on rough ice, It was pneumatic tires.

Then I though of the Gear Box and a Ponk kit.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
GAHorn

Re: Landing ROUGH ICE

Post by GAHorn »

Soo.... post the video!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mit

Post by mit »

I sure wish we could by new gear legs.... :(
Tim
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

mit wrote:I sure wish we could by new gear legs.... :(
You can. Well,... sort of. Titanium OR Steel 180 gear legs are available new. 180 gear legs may be installed on your 170.
You'll have to mortgage your first-born child, but otherwise.... You can get up to $500 each for your old gear.
http://thelandinggearworks.com/main-gear

I have confidence in my 65-year-old, proof-tested gearlegs to outlast my flying days as long as I keep them maintained. (And I have insurance in case I'm wrong.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Jim Hayton (360) 661-3302 has reconditioned 170 and 180 landing gear legs on hand and can also recondition yours.

The process is quite involved as it involved annealing, straightening, heat treating, shot peening and an XRay but what you get is effectively a new set of legs and the price is reasonable.

I've heard stories about long delays in turn around time but that hasnt been my experience.
Two weeks ago, I sent him a set of bent 180 legs (Buyer wanted to make sure they were repairable before sending me money). Jim inspected them, repaired them and had them shipped to the buyer within two weeks.
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I want to post the link for the video but cannot remember were it was.

It is a flaw . I actually have to pay people to locate important stuff. We call them Administrative Assistants.

It used to be just Client file folders but now it includes electronic media.

In the video the gear was taking a drubbing, scary. You think it is going to break.

I searched YouTube but it still escapes me.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

bagarre wrote:
Jim Hayton (360) 661-3302 has reconditioned 170 and 180 landing gear legs on hand and can also recondition yours.

The process is quite involved as it involved annealing, straightening, heat treating, shot peening and an XRay but what you get is effectively a new set of legs and the price is reasonable.

I've heard stories about long delays in turn around time but that hasnt been my experience.
Two weeks ago, I sent him a set of bent 180 legs (Buyer wanted to make sure they were repairable before sending me money). Jim inspected them, repaired them and had them shipped to the buyer within two weeks.
Glad to here Jim is still doing well. I bought a set of Lady legs from him a couple of years ago and he was having some health issues.

Joe
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Here you go. Bud Helmericks flying the arctic in the 1950s.
https://youtu.be/pH1rd6SQ8FI?t=1290
mit

Post by mit »

bagarre wrote:

He did mine back about 93 still using them maybe time for a fresh inspection... I think it was him he was in Sedro Wolley Washington?
Tim
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Tim-
Yes, Jim Hayton is in Sedro Wooly, WA, good guy. He has done several sets of gear for me. Never in two weeks though, more like two months.

The Helmricks, Bud's sons anyway, were still flying their C-170A, the "Arctic Tern" in the late 1980s-early 1990s. I saw it sitting out on the arctic tundra between the Kuparuk and Prudhoe Bay oil fields one summer day. They had broken the oil pressure line to the gauge, I think, nothing serious. They had made a precautionary landing parallel to the main road but landed out on the tundra, which was not controlled by the oil companies, to eliminate any red tape. It had 8.50-6 tires on it then and was gone the next day. If that plane could talk........
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Bud Helmericks was our guest speaker at the Fairbanks convention in "88". Neat guy.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver