Not Bad For A Navy Guy

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

counsellj

Not Bad For A Navy Guy

Post by counsellj »

Let me be the first to congratulate and welcome, Warren "Gizmo" Holland to the C-170 Owners and Pilot ranks. Gizmo recently purchased a beautiful 1955 "B" Model, Serial number 26836, N4492B. It has been a tough fall for Gizmo though because he purchased the plane back in the NE United States and wasn't qualified or able to schedule time to fly it home. To make matters worse, once the ferry pilot safely delivered his sweet airplane to him, the US Navy kept interfering with his free time for over a month before he could get checked out in his new airplane. It is a terrible day when you can't fly your C-170 because you have to go fly an F-18 with someone else buying the fuel.

Our first attempt to schedule the checkout was thwarted by typical fall Pacific Northwest weather of low ceilings and lots of moisture. Santa decided to deliver an early gift to the pilots in the local area and has recently provided us with over seven days of wonderful clear days and light winds. Saturday morning I arrived at the hangar at 7:00 to untuck my 1955 "B" Model, Serial number 26841, N4497B. With a nicely pre-heated engine I enjoyed a beautiful clear morning 20 minute flight up to Anacortes.
Mt Rainier in the distance
Mt Rainier in the distance
North Cascades
North Cascades
Everett Skyline
Everett Skyline

Once I arrived we had three beautiful C-170B's all at the same hangar. Gizmo's airplane is a great example of one of our classic airframes. A beauitful White/Blue paint scheme with wheelpants. The interior featured an excellent wool headliner and nicely upholstered original seats, the most comfortable and solid original model seats I have ever sat on, and excellent sidepanels and carpeting. The panel was in just as nice condition, with a modern attitude indicator being the only "modern update."
He Finally Gets To Fly His Plane!
He Finally Gets To Fly His Plane!
During the 2.4 hour flight I was amazed at how well the airplane flew and performed. The 1300 SMOH engine is as powerful and smooth as any I've flown behind. The airplane flies very straight with a nice "tightness" in the controls. Hands free flying and stalls, both benign and aggressive exhibited no surprises.
N4492B
N4492B
The most surprising aspect of the day’s flying was how well Gizmo flew. And as an USAF F-15C pilot, I don’t compliment Navy pilots very often, haha. Gizmo started the day with less than 5 hours of tailwheel time mostly in a ragwing C-170 and a tad of Champ time. Gizmo approached this flight with the same professionalism and discipline that he approaches combat naval aviation with. Throughout the day’s many many takeoffs and landings, my hands and feet were close to the controls, but I never had to touch them. Gizmo was well ahead of the airplane and exhibited a finesse on the controls that I have seen much more experienced tailwheel pilots not possess. The mistakes that Warren made were minor, but he took my instructional inputs with an open mind and immediately applied them. When his flying skills were combined with his situational awareness, it made for a truly enjoyable morning of helping a new owner learn the joy of flying his classic Businessliner. Warren is only the second tailwheel pilot I have flown with that I felt comfortable turning them loose at such a early stage. I look forward to meeting up with him and flying to some of my favorite destinations soon.

Welcome to your C-170 Gizmo!

PS. If you paid attention to our aircraft’s numbers, you realize they came down the assembly line five positions apart.

Jughead Counsell
GAHorn

Re: Not Bad For A Navy Guy

Post by GAHorn »

counsellj wrote:..., I don’t compliment Navy pilots very often, haha. ...
Jughead Counsell
Jughead....I once made the same mistake! We were in a bar drinking when I complimented a Navy pilot.... and he promptly reminded me that HIS job was to guide ships thru harbors! According to him... Gizmo is an AVIATOR. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

I wouldn't want to call him an AVIATOR, he might get a big head, start singing TOPGUN songs and think that EA-18G is a capable dog-fighter. :lol:
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Hey Jughead, looks like the makings of another good 170 News article!
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I cannot help feeling that he came to his tailwheel checkout with a few more skillsets than the average guy.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
Deere1450

Post by Deere1450 »

Jughead, I'm not going to be able to fit my head in my helmet!haha

In all seriousness, it was great to finally be able to fly my -170 and couldn't have asked for a better instructor. The mission was to be able to takeoff and land my airplane safely. Jughead gave me the tools and techniques to be successful and I look forward to flying with him again. Great write-up, Jughead! Definitely a day I won't forget. Glad to be apart of the forum!

FLY NAVY

-Gizmo
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Charlie your comment; I can't help but think of another high performance pilot in our group who had an unfortunate landing incident. At the time I couldn't believe it, how could a high time pilot make a mistake. I had my own when I thought I could handle anything and obviously in hindsight it was a fairly stupid mistake on my part.
Planning and getting a good check-out; I think it demonstrates that these two gentlemen through their past regimented training know the correct approach to mastering a new plane. I'm a low time pilot so what do I know but I'm guessing these guys are used to getting into and out of trouble in a hurry. Now it might be getting into trouble slowly and out of it slowly but probably they are well ahead of the machine and won't be playing that game.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Ok, finally another Navy guy! Welcome aboard Gizmo.

- Meat
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

c170b53 wrote:Charlie your comment; I can't help but think of another high performance pilot in our group who had an unfortunate landing incident. At the time I couldn't believe it, how could a high time pilot make a mistake. I had my own when I thought I could handle anything and obviously in hindsight it was a fairly stupid mistake on my part.
Planning and getting a good check-out; I think it demonstrates that these two gentlemen through their past regimented training know the correct approach to mastering a new plane. I'm a low time pilot so what do I know but I'm guessing these guys are used to getting into and out of trouble in a hurry. Now it might be getting into trouble slowly and out of it slowly but probably they are well ahead of the machine and won't be playing that game.
Low time, hi time , low performance, high performance, when acquiring a new plane, your attention is really focused on what your doing and you tend to handle the plane really well. After several hundred or thousand hours you get really familiar and comfortable with your plane. Sometimes when your that comfortable, your brain and feet get a little lazy and that is what bites you. When we bought our 170 back in 1970, it had been 12 years since I had soloed in a J-3 Cub. The first landing I made, I was really paying attention and had one of those squeekers. I think that's what sold me on the plane...and after 3500 hrs, I think that was still the best one I ever had... :lol:
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
Avon68

Post by Avon68 »

Gizmo,
Would be interested to pick your brain on your purchase and check out. I have a similar background in military aviation, Marine Corps and the Air Guard. Just finished my tailwheel endorsement and getting some -170 time. In the market for my first airplane. If you get chance, shoot me a call or text or email. That is a nice looking airplane! Congratulations!
R/
Avon
Tom Sims
317-250-8668
simscheck7@yahoo.com
Semper Fi,
Tom
JSwift

Post by JSwift »

Gizmo,

Welcome. I too am a long time military guy who found the mighty 170 fit all my mission needs and looks great to boot! I purchased my 1952 B model in August and have been very happy. Although as as New England flyer I’ve learned Cessna improved the heat system in 1953. :?

I’m just now approaching 50 hours in 94D and find that she teaches me something (often subtle things) every time I fly.

Best wishes!
N2594D, 1952 170B #20746
Near Enfield, CT
Let's go fly!
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I’ve given a couple of crusty old retired Strike Eagle drivers tailwheel endorsements in my 170B. They both did really well and were quick studies. They both remarked how fun the airplane was to fly, and then one of them (my boss) went out and bought an RV-8.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I offered to give an F16-driver a checkout-attempt and his horror at the need for rudder in crosswinds caused him to go away. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:I offered to give an F16-driver a checkout-attempt and his horror at the need for rudder in crosswinds caused him to go away. :lol:
I gave a former F-16 driver his first flight in a 170 last year, and he did 3 takeoffs and landings and a bit of air work while I rested my hands in my lap. He flew the airplane at least as well as I do. The difference? He was an ag pilot before he was an F-16 driver...
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I'm pretty sure I'd roll an F16 into a ball, given the chance.
I've got a bit of simulator time on various models in a former job, most of the big stuff is easy to launch, but my landings were hydraulic line splitters at best.
I think I used up more runway distance going back and forth from one side of the runway to the other than linear runway distance on my first tailwheel T.O. in a Cessna 120. Guess regardless of the plane it's good training then just plain practice to refine the skill.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS