Max weight of a passanger

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bella

Max weight of a passanger

Post by bella »

Evening everyone, I an trying to resolve an issue that has led to a heated argument. I give Young Eagles flights in my 1952 C170B. Last week my husband was flying the kids as I had an injured foot and was grounded. We were asked by the coordinator to fly a young man who weighted between 250 to 270 lbs, maybe more as he was very obese. My husband said okay as it was within the planes capabilities. This person took the whole back seat. It went okay, but I was furious for allowing such a large person in the plane. He said if it was within the weight and balance it is fine. I pointed out the doors, seat frames, foot step in the side of the plane as possible breaking points, and this person having to pull on seats and doors to get in and out. I don't believe the planes were designed for that kind of weight in a single seat. Am I wrong to worry about the seats and other parts with that kind of weight? I had sat a limit of 200 lbs and even with that, it is a lot in the back seat if it is one person. Your thoughts are appreciated.
edbooth

Re: Max weight of a passanger

Post by edbooth »

I have taken 250+ Pound people in my 53 B model without any problems other than the fitting of the seat belt. It kinda depends on the distribution of the weight on the person. Some people carry it very well and are very agile. Others are almost immobile. The ones I took were well aware of the weight and were cautious of what they pulled and pushed on. A 250 pounder in the back seat is no different that 2 125 pounders setting there. Just need to have a frank conversation with them and point out limitations.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

As long as the passenger is briefed accordingly, and you're within W&B, there should have no issues. Look at it this way....that ride may have changed the way the youth looks at his future and will result in a change for the better. Isn't that what Young Eagles is all about?
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I’m 6’3” and weigh about 310 pounds and fly my 170 about 175 hours a year and have flown in it since I was an infant. I have sat in every seat, even recently, and have had no issues. Perhaps I should give up flying or find a bigger airplane...
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I think that all passengers have to be guided as to how and what they can crab and push and pull on not matter their weight. Of course larger people have an advantage breaking things when pushed and pulled over someone half their weight. It's physics. So I would have been cautious of him getting in and out of the plane. Perhaps a ground based step rather than the airplane step which has been known to fail. I wouldn't have worried about the seat structure or the flight itself.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

My father in law is a big, big dude, and not very mobile. I took him once, and it was a bit iffy. Getting in and out he really stressed the step, and I thought he was going to break the seat back. Once in and situated it was fine and he had a wonderful time. I'm glad I did it. He's done so much for us and this was his first small plane ride. He had a blast and so did I. That being said I don't think we'll do it again anytime soon. It was really hard on the plane and I can't afford to risk breaking something.

Assuming the kid was mobile enough to get in and out without leaning on doors, seatbacks, etc... I would have given the ride. I don't think the weight is as big a deal is the ability to handle it. A 200lb guy who can't get in without hanging on the door is going to do more damage to your plane than a 300 pounder who can hop easily into the seat.

DEM
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

I recall taking an extremely obese guy for a demo ride in an ultralight when I was young and stupid. The whole time thinking "I hope the cables holding the wings on don't snap." Never again.

Something to consider is what happens with such a passenger in an accident. The seat and safety belts are designed for 9 G forward load. A 260# passenger has less than 6 G protection. Also does he have the dexterity to evacuate? At work we had a "wide body" Captain who I seriously doubt could have squeezed through the B-727 window.
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Instruct ALL PAX to NOT use the doors for support while boarding/exiting. Use the door-posts or the assist-strap/handle.... and whenever possible, for all passengers...use step-stools. Collapsible steps also store easily in the bag compt. and do double duty for seating-stools at fly ins and for refueling steps.

Part of your Pax briefing should always include the proper method to operate the interior door handles to open the door in case of emergency. (Pax often lock the doors by moving the handle in the incorrect directions which make it difficult for rescuers to get anyone out of the airplane. I recommend, Do not fly with the doors locked....although in certain cases with plus-sized pax it's necessary to prevent the doors from popping open in flight if the original locks >exist...{another reason the later rotary-latch locks used on 172s are advantageous.}
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)