build park and hangar for Cessna 170B on a farm strip

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

tracker33

build park and hangar for Cessna 170B on a farm strip

Post by tracker33 »

Hi,
On my farm strip, i schedule to buy a cessna 170B. Please somebody can give me dimensions necessary for a hangar and a little apron in front of it? (dimensions to be confortable on the apron to move the aricraft , for example make a 180° ground turn).
Thanks a lot.
GAHorn

Re: build park and hangar for Cessna 170B on a farm strip

Post by GAHorn »

The 170 is approx. 37 feet wide and 25 feet long and 9 feet in height and requires a 70 foot turning clearance if taxying. Towing or physical handling can reduce the needed radius.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
tracker33

Post by tracker33 »

Thanks for these data.
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Tracker33, you'll need a door width at least 40' wide and a depth of at least 30' inside. Turns out that's the size of my new hangar. The 40' door width is due to the wingspan. It gives you about 1 1/2' on both sides when pulling the plane in. A little tight but do-able. I've been doing it all summer without any problems. You just need to be careful. Once my plane is in, as I get near the back wall, I sharply turn the tail (left in my case) and pull it back further to angle it in for more room to get around it. When it's in like that, there's a suprising amount of room in the hangar. The left wing ends up about 10" from the left wall, there's about 4' between the nose and door. Plenty of room to walk in front or work in the engine area with the door closed. The right wing is about 7' from the right wall, with the aft tip of the right wing about 13' from the back wall. Because the wings are so high, I can easily walk under them and get around the hangar, and I'm 6'4". There's enough room for me to have a 6' work bench, shelving, a double door cabinet, a compressor, a parts washer and another work area along the back and side walls on the right side of the aircraft. I have additional shelving in the rear corner on the left side. I keep most of my tools in a large rolling tool cabinet, so that help as well.

I hope this gives you an idea.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

My hangar is 41ft wide clear inside. Trusses 42ft + 8" overhang on each side. I would not go narrower.

Mine is 40 deep, it is not a lot more expensive and it is nice to have room.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

to gefher

Thank you for your post describing your hanger.
We can tell by the flow of words; this is your [happy place]. Airplanes and tools Tools and airplanes.

I am concerned about your statement of walking under the wings and being 6'4". Have had numerous friends down through the years of similar height. They all had a friendly disposition.

The trailing edge of flaps on a C170 can provide a wake up call for the unsuspecting. Very concerned that that you may be joining the "Corrugated Crew Cut Club".

Some folks have purchased a strip of round 1" foam insulation from hardware big box of your choice. Designed, originally to fit A/C line it neatly fits (pre slit) on trailing edge of Flaps.

May the term scarred for life never include mention of C170s.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Grady, thanks for your concern. Being tall, I've gotten good at noticing things near my head and ducking. In my reply above, I should have said that i can walk under the wings near the ends. As I get closer to the root, I do need to duck some. I really have not had trouble with my 170. C-150/152's are a different story. Against the common wisdom (and warnings of others), I wear a ball cap in a hangar. It's protected me many times. Being taller, wing tailing edges catch my eye (even with the bill). But sometimes I don't duck enough and the top of my head bangs the diamond edge (again, usually C150/152's). The cap cushions the blow and prevents scars.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200