What documents Required in Airplane?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

What documents Required in Airplane?

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Please advise the essential required documents required to be in airplane prior to flight.
No iPad or iPhone tablet.

I think current registration certificate, Weight and Balance, Aircraft operating handbook.
Pilot License.

What am I missing?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: What documents Required in Airplane?

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Current registration AND current Airworthiness Certificate. That is two different things.

Aircraft operating handbook is not correct in the case of the 170. You need to have the Approved Flight Manual which in the case of the 170 is a single sheet of paper with limits. You can get that from our library if you don't have one.

Besides your license you need a government issued photo ID. to go with your license.

Then if you didn't have a current weight and balance you'd have a hard time answering the question how you knew you where not operating outside of W&B limits.

And while a current sectional of the area you are flying in is not specifically required for part 91 flight, having one goes a long way to showing you know all pertinent information for the flight you took or where about to take.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

AR(R)OW

Airworthiness Certificate
Registration Certificate
Radio Station License (if operating outside of ADIZ)
Operation Limitations
Weight and Balance
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Personal:
In the US we don't have pilot licenses. We have pilot certificates.
Don't forget your Medical Certificate also... and a Photo ID issued by a gov't agency (Passport is preferred internationally but stateside a drivers license will do).
Radiotelephone Permit (if operating Internationally)

As for the airplane: See FAR 91.203
Registration
Airworthiness Certificate
Equipment List/Wt&Bal
Radio Station Permit (as applicable)
AFM in the case of the 170, or Approved Operating Handbook, as applicable. (either of which contain the limitations)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

gahorn wrote:In the US we don't have pilot licenses.
I teach at a flight school whose primary customer base is Seymour Johnson Air Force Base. We do a lot of mil comp training, and I do a lot of initial training for WSOs or enlisted people trying to commission for a pilot slot.

I have almost given up on trying to eradicate the term "license" from their vocabulary when it comes to flying.
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Thank you for the post.

Resets the knowledge base.
And all these years I thought I was a licensed pilot. Wrong.
I was a Certificated Pilot. I see the Certificate stating SEL airplane Instrument

That one little word to the right does not tell anything about the tremendous effort I had to expend.

Distinctly remember that prior to taking the instrument written I spent 118 hours in review. Remain vague about wife's birthday.

Regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

MoonlightVFR wrote:
Distinctly remember that prior to taking the instrument written I spent 118 hours in review. Remain vague about wife's birthday.
:lol:

That's great, Grady. My wife gives me the side eye when I'm asked when our wedding anniversary is. Her birthday is exactly 1 month after mine, so that's easy enough for me to remember, and she was born 1 hour and 11 minutes later than me (I'm 99 Xxx 19XX born at 4:48 AM and she was 99 Xxx 19XX:59 AM).

My instrument rating was one of the most hellish weeks in my life. My job at the time had me gone in Texas for 30 days; home in North Carolina for ten. I already had my written done and 25 hours of simulated instrument under my belt. I was determined to get my instrument rating in that time off, and armed with the company credit card, I was given the blessing to make it happen. I got home on a Friday evening, spent Saturday and Sunday catching up on being gone for a month, began my training Monday morning and didn't really sleep until after my checkride was completed on Friday morning.

I'll say the only course tougher was my initial CFI training. On the 8th of this month, I finally passed my CFII checkride after having a slow enough schedule at the flight school to make it happen. That was pretty grueling in itself and I had to cancel my initial checkride date of Labor Day because I simply wasn't prepared. I've got two instrument students, and one of them is my full-time prodigy Sean. He was my first student to solo, the first student to checkride, first tailwheel endorsement given, and will definitely be my first instrument student to go to checkride. I'm doing my best to outline how serious an instrument rating really is. We were lucky enough to be in actual at night on his second lesson. I think that drove the point home quickly.
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
And while a current sectional of the area you are flying in is not specifically required for part 91 flight, having one goes a long way to showing you know all pertinent information for the flight you took or where about to take.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the way the rule actually reads is that while no sectional is required, if you do have one it has to be current. So no tucking a 2 year old chart in the seat pocket and calling yourself good to go. Take it out, or keep it current.

For those who like to unplug or aren't into tech, it's tempting to say no tablet none of the time. But even if you use none of the flight planning, nav, and zillion other features, a tablet is hands down the easiest, least expensive way to stay legal chart wise. There are a couple free chart services out there (I've used Avare and Fltplan) and downloading current charts is simple and convenient. You don't have to use it, just throw it in the back seat and whip it out if you get ramp checked. Fltplan runs pretty good on my iphone too, and since that's always with me, and I have a generous data plan with good coverage, I'm never more than a few minutes away from an updated chart.

DEM
Bruce Fenstermacher

No DEM it does not read this way at all. Another pet peeve of mine. Obsolete maps. So what.

The rule to which having to have a current sectional is applied is the one that says you will familiarize and know all current information required for the flight you undertake.

How do you prove to the Fed you meet this requirement? The popular answer is you have a current sectional.

If your sectional is not current it still could be used IF you verify all the information on that expired sectional which you might use for your intended flight is current OR corrected to current. Now how would you prove to a Fed in 5 seconds you've got current or corrected the info required? A current sectional.

But no where does it say you can not have a obsolete sectional cause no where does it say you have to have a current sectional. In fact I know aviators who have used aeronautical maps once supplied free by the state rather than by sectionals. This of course is for flying under part 91.

I'll look up the reg. later if someone else does not.

lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Here's a good write up on the current chart issue. (I'll leave it to George to chastise you for calling it a "map")
http://www.askacfi.com/1276/are-current ... d-item.htm
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

lowNslow wrote:(I'll leave it to George to chastise you for calling it a "map")
Dam, I thought I went back and changed out all the maps to charts or sectionals. Missed one. :(

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
lowNslow wrote:(I'll leave it to George to chastise you for calling it a "map")
Dam, I thought I went back and changed out all the maps to charts or sectionals. Missed one. :(
WHERE is that LOLROTFLMAO emoji when I need it..???? :lol:

First of all... let the cat out of the bag.... I have decided that tablets are OK in the cockpit and that they are the simplest way to have current charts.

Secondly, I agree with Bruce that a chart..ANY chart is better than no chart...and all one must do is determine it's appropriate for the purposes of the flight. The "latest" information can be (and should be) reviewed prior to the flight. Having a chart with an old date on it is not disqualifying.

Lastly, I will admit that when I found myself suddenly needing to board a Boeing to ORL within 2 hours to pick up that 172 recently purchased to get it out of the way of hurricane Irma... the only Florida chart I could find was in a Boy Scout footlocker in the hangar... a WAC chart dating from before the Bardstown convention. It was what got me thru TRW's and rain and out of Florida using pilotage and dead-reckoning because I couldn't decide if the VOR was scalloping due to low altitude/rain or because it was inop and the Garmin 250XL GPS was unfamiliar to me, there was no manual, and the legends completely worn off the buttons so I had no idea how to inialize it. 8O

I admit that I allowed myself to depart without proper preflight planning and preparation because I felt rushed to get-out-of-Dodge (ORL) before the wx got worse. I comfort myself in my own mind by calling it a "recurrent training excersize/scenario". I feel blessed to not have succumbed to CO or further personal stupidity. (One advantage of an obsolete navigation system is the VOR frequencies didn't change since last century so I was able to tell how many days-swim* off-shore I'd wandered in the rain before turning back toward Tallahassee.)

* days-swim: My QB Sponsor and Hawker-jet mentor, Beryl Minard, used to remind me while ferrying airplanes across "the pond"... that every minute out-bound, is equal to a days-swim back to shore. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)