Canada and ADS-B

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Canada and ADS-B

Post by GAHorn »

Google tells me that ADS-B is not required in Canada but is "helpful" in the Hudson Bay area.

Can any of our Canadian Members give a bit more insight as to what to expect in the next few years? What I've found offered online is mostly personal opinions without supporting info. What should we expect for those wanting to transit to Alaska as well as to do a bit of hedge-hopping in a small aircraft?

Will ADS-B out be required by some stated date?

Will the UAT method be acceptable? Or will only ES apply.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Re: Canada and ADS-B

Post by c170b53 »

Slowly looking all around as I do a 360 before I poke my head through this small hole, (I know this is a trap George :D )
This is the language of Nav Canada taken from a AOPA article which paraphrases Nav Can ;
Canada. Currently no mandate, but operators who voluntarily equip with 1090ES (particularly in the Hudson Bay and nearby oceanic airspace) can receive a higher level of service. Nav Canada is part of a joint air traffic surveillance venture, Aireon, installing ADS-B equipment on low-earth-orbit satellites. Nav Canada will be the launch customer when the service becomes available in 2018, and initially intends to incorporate 1090ES ADS-B into North Atlantic airspace.
From a small plane perspective, landing at large high flow airports involves a service charge in Canada (well at least YVR) and because of my heritage, I avoid these types of situations. Its something to keep in mind when you give away your air traffic system and it goes private. In my opinion, they won't keep you from using the service, they will just price you out of it.
For what its worth (which I typed in long form in honor of Bluldr recent to us passing) there was a push here for 406 ELTS, which I installed in my plane then the push kind of went away, so the message is; they may push for it eventually but who knows in Canada until its in black and white and it becomes law.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

and from the Canadian Owners and Pilot Association (COPA), originally published April 2017:

"Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B)

We know what’s going on down south of the border but what’s the future like for us here? In our discussions with Transport Canada, it was made very clear that there is NO plan for any ADS-B for in the near future, certainly not for general aviation. But obviously since the whole world seems to be going to ADS-B, the question is not if but when will this hit us and to what extent. For our members, nothing within the next ten to twelve years at least if not more, and it would most likely be space-based (antenna on top). As some of you may know, there is already ADS-B in the country but it is strictly as an added service to the major carriers. Meanwhile Nav Canada is looking at defining the ADS-B mandate and COPA, as well as other industry partners, are working with them on the preliminary work, on the scope of ADS-B in Canada. COPA will keep you informed though our different communications media."
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

All of which explains why our military infrastructure is so small in comparison to our southern neighbours; given the chance, Canadians can talk anyone to death. :D
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Heh?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)