Hello from New Member in Oregon

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

TerriM

Hello from New Member in Oregon

Post by TerriM »

Greetings 170A members,

I purchased a 170B about 6 months ago from Nampa, ID. After reading some of the member posts, I decided to join. This looks like a great site for sharing our individual knowledge and to be inspired! Thank you to those that created and maintain this site!

My airplane is currently based at a small airport inside of Hillsboro, OR class D airspace. During the last few months, with a help of a good buddy, I've done a lot of work on my plane. The months dragged on as I meticulously worked on my new plane. Because of the time commitment, for months there was no afternoons at the mall to buy a new dress or high heels, no rounds of golf, no happy hours downtown, no trips to the beach.... I ALWAYS had grease under my fingernails. From now on you guys get a pass on that!!!

After months of effort, overseen by an IA, my plane has been transformed from an old school IFR craft to a super cool camping rig. Tonight was my second flight in my new plane and my BFR is also complete. Yah! I'm on cloud 9. I love my 170B as I know all of you do. There is nothing that compares to the exhilaration of flying and accomplishing something new. And as many of you know, the sense of pride is heightened by having made the physical, time, and emotional investment. It will be fun to meet other 170 owners that have gone down a similar path and share my love of flying.

I look forward to getting acquainted!

Terri
Terri M
541-639-9045
seattlelights@gmail.com
c170b53

Re: Hello from New Member in Oregon

Post by c170b53 »

Teri, I attended a 170 get together in Columbia this last weekend and as I'm located in CYVR area I flew through your backyard this weekend. On the way down I called approach and asked them how they wanted me to fly through their airspace as as you probably knew Hillsboro had a TFR that butted up to Portland's airspace. In the past I would just slither through the gap semi stealth mode. Approach was great, they gave me vectors to fly right over the centre of the airport and then over downtown Portland, views I hadn't had an opportunity to enjoy before.
On the way back Sunday afternoon during the air show, the traffic in the area was fairly intense. I called centre because I knew approach was overloaded only to find out they were overloaded. I called a few times but I had no joy, I tried a few times approach with no acknowledgement, so I just flew a few hundred feet above the western side of Portland's airspace. Half way through the area, the controller alerted several other aircraft to my presence, announcing type and intentions unknown, so I responded back with my call sign, intentions and course. I loved his response, " Now that I've scared everyone else away, I've got time to offer you flight following if you wish". I thanked him and declined his offer as I was almost through the approach path of the heavies and I had intentions of landing at Kelso for fuel.
I've encounter this fellow before and I really appreciate professionals such as him, he was overwhelmed for a bit but he bounced right back up like nothing.
Looks like you've got a great camping machine and you're living in a great area, good for you!
Again thanks for joining, we need new young members. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that you're doing everything right for a young person. Earning it, appreciating how special it is to fly and flying a fun airplane. I'm impressed.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

Congratulations to you, and welcome to the group and to the latest round of new owners and association members, Terri! I purchased my '50 170A three weeks ago and received my BFR and tailwheel endorsement last week. First solo cross-country in "my own plane" on Saturday, and some pattern work last night. Looking forward to sharing new-owner learnings and the ups/downs as we get to know our aircraft.

Brian
Fayetteville, GA
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Jim, your experience with ATC is a mirror-image of one I overheard a few years ago.
A small plane in the DFW area called up and asked for flight-following and the controller rather snarky refused service.
A few minutes later the same controller was deeply-busy cautioning everyone else on the freq. about the "unknown traffic" in the area. The original caller was monitoring and reminded the controller who/what/where he was and his destination.

All of a sudden, the controller had plenty of time to assign a code and provide service. :roll:

It's a two-way street when it comes to ATC flight-following requests, heh?

Terri,... WELCOME! We all look fwd to your participation!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

Brian.Olson

Our Aircraft are nearly siblings...only 14 units apart. My serial number is 19730 :wink:

I have welcomed Terri to the group already offline. The plane she bought was one I looked at for many months while I was getting myself in a position to buy, so when I saw the picture I recognized it immediately. I had spoken to the wife of the previous owner at some point before ending up buying mine in Chandler.

Bill
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Welcome to the Association TerrI and congratulations on finding your 170. As you well know, they are great planes.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

Bill - looking forward to meeting you and seeing the planes together some day. You are right - siblings!
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

Welcome from Michigan, Terri! You'll find a really great bunch of people in the Association. Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your 170 in Cody next year.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
TerriM

Post by TerriM »

Thank you for all of the kind welcome messages!
Terri M
541-639-9045
seattlelights@gmail.com
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Hi Terri. Welcome to the group. I am based in Nampa, ID. I am trying to remember what 170 was for sale. Congrats on the purchase. Stop and say hi if you are ever this way again.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Welcome aboard Terri! Have a great time getting to know your plane. Plan on going to the Convention next year, a great place to visit and just a "short" hop east :)

Chris
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

wabuchanan wrote:Brian.Olson

Our Aircraft are nearly siblings...only 14 units apart. My serial number is 19730 :wink:

I have welcomed Terri to the group already offline. The plane she bought was one I looked at for many months while I was getting myself in a position to buy, so when I saw the picture I recognized it immediately. I had spoken to the wife of the previous owner at some point before ending up buying mine in Chandler.

Bill
All 170's are already siblings. :twisted:

Your's might be dizygotic-twins tho'.... :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)