Hello from a new owner

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

brian.olson

Hello from a new owner

Post by brian.olson »

What a wealth of information this forum has been. I've been lurking as a guest for some time now soaking up the knowledge as I've narrowed down my search for an aircraft. I signed papers this morning on a 1950 170A, N5762C, the first plane that I have ever owned. To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

I got my PPL back in 2002 and flew Piper aircraft up until we moved from Minnesota down to Atlanta in 2004. Putting two wonderful kids through college stomped out any hope of continuing to fly, until our youngest graduated this spring and my lovely, wonderful and supportive bride suggested we buy a plane. The plane we settled on has a TIC170A sticker on one of the doors, so I suspect it has made its way in and out of sight of the group over time. I'll be anxious to hear the rumors and learn its history with the group as I get to know you, and the plane, better.

I live in Fayetteville, GA (southern suburb of Atlanta) and will be taking deliver of the plane next week when the kind (previous) owner ferries it down to its new home for me. First step is to get my taildragger endorsement and get "current" - but I have that lined up already. Many thanks to Dan Wood for answering my emails offline.

Oh, I understand I have to "pick a side", so to speak. I fall into the "blue" camp by default of the purchase. Love me, don't hate me -

Looking forward to getting to know you.

Brian Olson
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
N3407D

Re: Hello from a new owner

Post by N3407D »

Congratulations on your purchase Brian! I'm pretty close to you in Williamson,Ga. When you get checked out we will have to meet up at Barnstormers grill. It will be nice to see another 170 around. I've had mine for about a year so I'm not an expert on them but I certainly am having fun with it. Feel free to contact me if you need anything.
Todd
1955 170B s/n 26950
Griffin,Ga
KG

Post by KG »

Hi Brian. Welcome!

I have family in that area so I'm down that way every few weeks.

What airport will you be using?

Keith
53 170B
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Brian,
Welcome! Wow, it's great to see all these new members recently. What a great looking plane - you can't do better than an original 1952 paint scheme in blue with original wheel pants. Here's the picture from JetPhotos.com. Now quickly get some floats on that plane! :lol: Seriously, our thoughts and prayers go out to y'all in the path of Irma. Stay safe.
Gary
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

Welcome to the Association. I know you will find lots of friendly help and advice.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Welcome to the BLUE wing of the organisation. The other poor soles have no idea how fast blue aircraft are . We will just keep them guessing :D . You will have a ton of fun out of the 170a . It's a great aircraft with a heap of features that Piper and others that pretend to fly do not have . You must come to the convention in June. It's a ton of fun and laughs.
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome.

Keith - I'll be based out of the Newnan Coweta County Airport (KCCO) at least for the near future. As soon as the aircraft arrives next week it will be in the avionics shop getting the transponder upgraded. Though Falcon Field / Peachtree City is closer to me, the maintenance shop that will be installing a new transponder has indicated they will have space for me once they build a new maintenance hanger next spring. Waiting lists for individual hangars at both airports are several years long unfortunately and it's my first priority to get the plane indoors regardless of drive.

Todd - looks like you are just down the road! Looking forward to my first fly-in meal at Barnstormers and eagerly look forward to meeting you in-person. I'm sure that will be a regular stop for my wife and I.

Ghostflyer - with that vote of encouragement, I'm feeling faster already. I was up earlier this morning, coffee tasted better, the guy staring back at me from the mirror while I was shaving was better looking. Coincidence? I think not.

Have a great day, everyone
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Welcome! And great looking bird. I'm partial to that paint scheme!

Enjoy the experience!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
strangebird

Post by strangebird »

Brian:

i am just North of you at 5GA2, Lyons landing, with a 17OB, since there are bunch of us in the area we need to get together at Peach State for lunch, if I can help just ask, there are some nice flyins in the fall to go to watch the posts here,

Nice looking bird, welcome.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

BLUE = Yellow and GREEN. So we KNOW what side you slant.

Welcome.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Blue is a great color for new Members! Welcome!
Attachments
ColorSpectrum.png
ColorSpectrum.png (40.68 KiB) Viewed 23520 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
KG

Post by KG »

brian.olson wrote: Waiting lists for individual hangars at both airports are several years long unfortunately and it's my first priority to get the plane indoors regardless of drive.
When I lived in Newnan I gave up on the waiting list and went to Thomaston KOPN. It was an hour drive.. .ugh.. but the price was right and the guys at the airport there are great. It was worth the drive for me. Might be an option until you can get something closer to home.
53 170B
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

Brian,

Welcome! My 170 is also my first Airplane ownership experience as well. Our planes are very closely related it seems. Mine is N5776C and Serial# 19730. Also a '50 170A. They are great planes and I think you will enjoy yours when you are endorsed and flying it regularly!

Best,
Bill
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730