Eclipse Day Totality Path C170

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Eclipse Day Totality Path C170

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Today was the day.

First visitor aircraft to land was a C170B. That certainly made me happy.
First question Are you a member? Yes my name is Don Jonas and my N number is N2748C

Second aircraft was painted GREEN, yes it was very fast. Not just a green stripe but copious amounts of green.
Low wing doors both sides. Amazed at the amount of people disembarking; informed that no services available
they selected the best shade tree next to the locked Admin bldg and set up camp. Chicago people. Sharp

16 visitor aircraft, cannot bear to call them transient. Contentment aviation community.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
GAHorn

Re: Eclipse Day Totality Path C170

Post by GAHorn »

MoonlightVFR wrote:....
Low wing doors both sides. Amazed at the amount of people disembarking;....
Beech Sierra? Rockwell? Neither is very fast for their types... further penalized by green paint.... :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Being located in a prime eclispe location, I could have walked outside or driven 2.7 miles to my hangar to experience the Great American Eclispe here in Murfreesboro, TN. However, there is a need to fly so a couple of weeks ago I registered for a slot at Springfield, TN (M91) [next to three other good friends from Murfreesboro] and for $25 got a lunch ticket for a good pulled pork bbq lunch (Tennesseeans don't understand bbq brisket) with all the trimmings, a coffee cup (I don't drink coffee, but it will hold hot chocolate or small parts), a thermal carry bag plus a designated parking spot by the ramp/hangars as opposed to being sent to the far south end of the runway! Lots of folks attended with 93 aircraft ranging from a powered parachute, Cessna Citation, and a Gulfstream. Folks came from Dallas, Florida, et al. The eclispe itself was pretty cool. Actually could feel the temperature lowering as the moon mover closer & closer to totality. When it got almost total, taxiway and runway lights came on. The huge number of aircraft in the greater Nashville area resulted in Memphis Center locking down all IFR/VFR flight following requests after the event. However, from what I saw on tv, Madras, OR appeared to have one of, if not the largest, gatherings of watchers and departing from their airport must have been more of a challenge than Oshkosh. Fun times :D
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Jamie donned one of my spare welding helmets and reclined in the front yard in a zero-gravity chair, while the dog was excited to have us spend time with her out in the front yard. I personally experienced the drop in temperature by standing beneath the pear tree, where the temperature remained lower longer.
Jamie's Selfie...at least I THINK that's her!
Jamie's Selfie...at least I THINK that's her!
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Observed the eclipse at Triple Tree (SC00). Perfect spot and Wx cooperated. Must have been 5-6 hundred planes there. Had about 2:40 of totality.
image.jpeg
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Flew to Guernsey WY and got about 2:10 of totality. I'm an eclipse junkie now, thinking about 2024.

Took me 2:30 to get home, including putting the airplane away and driving home from the airport. Nonaviators had 12 hour drives. My wife said this trip and the OSH trip reminded her why she likes GA.
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

gahorn wrote:Jamie donned one of my spare welding helmets and reclined in the front yard in a zero-gravity chair, while the dog was excited to have us spend time with her out in the front yard. I personally experienced the drop in temperature by standing beneath the pear tree, where the temperature remained lower longer.
EclipseViewer.jpg
So, are the pears ripe? Nothing like a ripe pear off the tree (unless it's a ripe peach off the tree).
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I guess you flew your RV to SC00, Ed? Doug Mueller and I flew there in my 170. Had a little trouble getting back out, but luckily I had an ace IA with me. We observed the eclipse from the patio at the main hangar and it was incredible.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I flew Karen and her sister down to Marion Kentucky for the eclipse. They had no landing fee, a burger/BBQ lunch for only a donation, and fairly light crowds. The trip home was almost as interesting as the eclipse.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_2561.PNG
IMG_2564.PNG
Attachments
IMG_1435.JPG
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bsdunek wrote:
gahorn wrote:Jamie donned one of my spare welding helmets and reclined in the front yard in a zero-gravity chair, while the dog was excited to have us spend time with her out in the front yard. I personally experienced the drop in temperature by standing beneath the pear tree, where the temperature remained lower longer.
The attachment EclipseViewer.jpg is no longer available
So, are the pears ripe? Nothing like a ripe pear off the tree (unless it's a ripe peach off the tree).
That tree is an interesting one. It was planted as one of a pair (pardon the pun)...but the other didn't make it. Pears do not self-pollinate so I figured it'd only turn out to be an ornamental.
Big surprise about year five.. it was full of blossoms and honeybees all over it! A month later hundreds (literally) of little pears.
We (and the bees apparently) discovered a wild-pear on the ranch about a half-mile away. :P
For about ten years now we enjoy what we believe to be Asian pears. They are large, juicy, and crisp like a good apple! They ripen on the tree in early November.
Jamie has made "pear butter" from them but it's a labor of love. Lots of time needed to cook them down.
(Click on the pic to enlarge...click again to ENLARGE)
Attachments
During a light rain from Hurricane Harvey
During a light rain from Hurricane Harvey
170C

Post by 170C »

Those pears will make my favorite preserves too. Cut them up, cook them down with LOTS of sugar and its like candy. Haven't had any in years.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018