New interior

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wechronister

New interior

Post by wechronister »

Need to put new interior in my 52B, any thoughts or suggestions? Any comments on Airtex? Have had two prices from local aircraft interior shops $10,000 / $12,000--can't afford that. Also still looking for a forward plate for the bullet type prop spinner O300A eight hole. Thanks, Happy Landings, EC
GAHorn

Re: New interior

Post by GAHorn »

I've put in a couple of Airtex interiors, although they weren't exactly "prefabricated". We handed the fabric and the seats to a local auto/interior shop with instructions on how we wanted it done. While they completed the seats (which we'd already cleaned and painted the frames), we did the sidewalls and painted the trim, ran Intercom wiring, etc etc, installed the prefabricated carpet.

Don't be afraid to use vinyl paint on any plastic trim...it works good and gives a nice, clean, renewed appearance. (I painted the vinyl headliner panels in my Baron and it looked like a new airplane. It was really surprising.)

The wool Airtex headliners are nice but I've heard they have become pricey. Follow the directions and then mist it with water using a spray-bottle. A hair dryer will then shrink it up nice'n'tight.

Don't get too carried away attempting to quiet-down the cabin with heavy insulation.... All you'll accomplish is create a place for corrosion and subtract from your useful load. Most of the noise in a 170 is prop and wind-noise around the door-seals and windows and from the tail-cone. New, close-fitting seals go a long way to making things bearable.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Wool Airtex headliners are around $435 last time I checked (mine was $165 in 1990). My how things have changed! My last interior was done in 2001 and after doing quite a bit of price comparisons I found a local guy who did an excellent job for $3,000. I saw several he had done for that price. Check around with other owners/fbo's and see if they can direct you to good, local shops. Be sure they use fire resistant materials that meet FAA regs.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

I am just finishing up the installation of an Airtex kit on my plane. I purchased the wool headliner, carpet side panels, firewall cover and baggage compartment. It was nowhere neat $10K! 8O I agree with George. There is no such thing as a perfect snap in kit. You still have to do some trimming and fitting here and there. Also the door seals he mentioned are a perfect seal.

I purchased some extra material by the yard and a can of their glue at the same time which came in handy. I took the grab straps and sun visors to a local shop and had them cover and sew them with extra wool that matches my headliner.

I am starting the headliner install any day.

I am currently contemplating doing the front and rear seats. I'll probably purchase their kit and take it to my local shop to install. I may strip them myself and paint the frames first. But I am having too much fun flying and don't want to be grounded again. So maybe this winter??
Attachments
2017-06-10-09.35.35-e1497109162853.jpg
2017-06-04-10.27.08.jpg
IMG_7383-e1473977954704.jpg
IMG_7387-e1473977941106.jpg
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

Kyle Fosso had his beautiful 170 at EAA this year with a really neat interior in it. He mentioned they were selling them. He said you send your parts into them and they recover them. Price was well south of $10k. You may want to contact him.

DEM
WJRem

Post by WJRem »

I wish Kyle Fosso would post photos of his interior. He has done an exceptional restoration. I think I saw on his FaceBook page that the company they were working with on interiors quit suddenly. I'm not sure of the details, but probably best to reach out to him and clarify. KYLE POST INTERIOR PHOTOS and give us the story that goes along with it. PLEASE!
Bill Remington
'52 170B, N118F, s/n: 25329
C-145-2, Electroair Electronic ignition
Decorah, IA
Email: theremingtons at me.com