ForeFlight Scout

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

ForeFlight Scout

Post by 170C »

Anyone tried the Scout for ADS-B In? Thinking it might be an economical way to have traffic & weather in the until purchasing a full blown IN & OUT system.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
canav8

Re: ForeFlight Scout

Post by canav8 »

need to look it up but portable I do not believe meets the requirements. You must have a system installed and tested to meet the requirements. I am being told by Garmin that they must have a factory authorized installer to install their products for warranty. I am not an authorized installer either. D
Last edited by canav8 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

Bought one at Oshkosh. Up to now have been using ForeFlight in a 182 with friends Stratus S2.
Scout very easy to setup with my Ipad. Have used in the 182 and in my champ with a battery pack.
Both environments the display and information, traffic and weather, are just the same as the Stratus.
So far very happy with the product. Probably biggest pain is the suction cups on the unit could be a
little beefier.
170C

Post by 170C »

Steve, did you sell your 170 that you had at Petit Jean & at Oshkosh 2010?

Thanks for your input on the Scout.

Don't believe there is any requirement for ADS-B "IN" installation, just for OUT.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

Sold 2353D, it was heart breaking, in 2012 as could see would not pass medical.
Bought 85hp Champ and have been flying Sport Pilot until now. Got my Basic Med in June
and joined a club that has a Champ, T-Craft, 150, and Skyhawk. I can only fit in the Champ
and Skyhawk with these old bones but still enjoying flying. Still miss the 170 though!
Mschwarzkopf

Post by Mschwarzkopf »

I bought a Scout at the ForeFlight booth in Oshkosh kind of on a whim. Was definitely an impulse buy, but I didn't find anything else that I really needed at the show, so I bought it. That said, I'm happy with it. It was definitely helpful to have realtime METARS and radar departing OSH with MVFR ceilings all along my route back to STL.

I had planned on using my iPad cell service airborne, but with the Scout I didn't have to waste cell data (coverage is usually spotty anyway). ADS-B traffic is a plus, but doesn't show Mode C traffic unless in an ADS-B Out aircraft's "puck" (learned that at the Stratus forum). Xpdrless aircraft will not show up either, obviously.

Like an Apple product, it comes with very little instructions, but you don't need it if you're a basic ForeFlight user. Needing an external battery is a bit clumsy, but that can be easily dealt with. Everyone seems to be giving away those USB battery packs now at display booths, I came home with 2.

There isn't much you can buy for $200 in aviation that really helps improve situational awareness (as long as you already use ForeFlight). I'm curious how well it works with depicting TFRs, I haven't tried that yet.

So, I give it two thumbs up. Just know that it may be useless if/when you upgrade to an ADS-B in/out xpdr (depending on equipment choice).

Mike
Mike Schwarzkopf
'51 C170A - N1471D
170C

Post by 170C »

Thanks for the input. I ordered one this afternoon and it will be delivered tomorrow. Plan to use it on a several day trip Thursday.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Mike, flew with a friend the other day who has a Stratus and he could see my old mode c transponder position showing on his ForeFlight. My understanding is that it's due to my position being picked up by ground radar.

Does the Scout do the same or are you saying that's not the case when you say it doesn't show mode c without the puck. Could you explain? What's the puck?
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

canav8 wrote:need to look it up but portable I do not believe meets the requirements. You must have a system installed and tested to meet the requirements. I am being told by Garmin that they must have a factory authorized installer to install their products for warranty. I am not an authorized installer either. D
ADS-B IN does not require certification.... Only the OUT requires it.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I talked to Garmin and for my setup all I need is the GDL82 garmin with my 327 transponder. I also bought the Scout and have yet to try it. I hope is works like I have been hearing.
Have a safe flight
John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
170C

Post by 170C »

Got my new toy (Scout) yesterday,but was unable to get it to work. Called Foreflight today and found out that both of my iPads had missed an update. Tech helped me do one and after spending a lot of time straightening out some issues with passwords, etc on the second one, I got both units and my phone to work at home. I then went to the airport & put it in Ole Pokey and took a short flight to see if it worked. It did show planes in the pattern here at MBT as well as a few going into Nashville while on the ground. In the air ole Scout seems to work as advertised. Unit does get pretty warm while attached to the power source. Hope that is normal. Weather permitting, I'll give it a good test tomorrow going to TX.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Mschwarzkopf

Post by Mschwarzkopf »

Kyle, I think you're right. Mode C aircraft in radar contact are retransmitted and should show up using the Stratus or Scout.

The "puck" is an envelope +/-3500 ft and within 30 nm of a dual band ADS-B OUT aircraft. Since dual band receive traffic via air-to-air, ground transmitters retransmit traffic in that puck to dual band aircraft (Mode C). I was led to believe that operating near an ADS-B OUT aircraft with an IN receiver (Stratus or Scout) provided more traffic info. I may have misinterpreted that.

Mike
Mike Schwarzkopf
'51 C170A - N1471D
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Thanks for the reply Mike. I need to do more education and was on my list for Osh, though missed it due to work/family obligations.

Looked like it was good that YOU made it, though. Congrats on receiving the outstanding 170 award!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If you truly want to avoid mid-airs.... you still have to SEE AND AVOID. (I know you know...just reinforcing.) Also,...Even ATC sometimes "skips" or misses transponder equipped traffic. If an aircraft is transiting a radar-site in an arc to the antenna... the aircraft may "disappear" from ATC for several minutes. This occurred as recently as last week when I transited AUS just north of the airport enroute to our place. Approach cautioned me they'd "lost" my "return" and not to alter altitudes as he had airline traffic crossing on approach, while I crossed the parallel approaches westbound.

They didn't pick me up again for almost 3 minutes, although United saw me "on the fish finder". (Glad I had catfish for lunch.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Mschwarzkopf

Post by Mschwarzkopf »

Thank you for the congratulations, Kyle! There are a lot of beautiful 170s out there, and I am humbled to receive that award.

Mike
Mike Schwarzkopf
'51 C170A - N1471D