35 YEARS and WAITING

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

35 YEARS and WAITING

Post by MoonlightVFR »

There are current post on line referencing a trade group name FAA Piston Aviation Fuel Initiative.

Yes I think they have an acronym.
They were showing slides at Air Adventure 2017. Offering info on a new fuel for GA.

I have been waiting for a new fuel for 35 years.

Our engines were designed to use 80 Octane.

So we have 100LL for our engines that were destined for 80. Notice the PR spin on the official name of the replacement fuel. Turns out the replacement fuel has four (4) times the amount of lead! GA pilots are reasonably intelligent persons so how do they accept this PR story.

There was a time when 80 octane availability was spotty. You planned trips based on the availability.
Pilots declared emergency because of about to run fuel out of fuel. Yes they had turned down purchase of 100LL.

I appreciate that long term expensive engineering studies have been performed in search of a suitable fuel.

Some persons may view the OSH 2017 FAA Piston Initiative as simply continued attempts to placate GA.

Is it possible that GA is being treated indignantly?
35 years and waiting
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
butchpilot170

Re: 35 YEARS and WAITING

Post by butchpilot170 »

Hey Guys/ Girls , I've heard of people running aircrafts with out a hitch for years on Sunoco 93 octane by taking the ethanol out of it ! They say their engines don't foul plugs as easy , more power , and less expensive to fly more ! What say you ? the ButchPilot !
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Butch,

Here is the problem with removing the ethanal from gasoline.

What is gasoline? Gasoline can be many things and it is many things depending on the specific use. So there is no one mix that makes gasoline but many mixes. These mixes meet a standard, and I'd bet there are even variations or latitude in that standard.

Gasoline for our airplanes must meet one of several standards. And approved standard is one that is (or was) commonly sold for cars. It contained no ethanol in it's mix and was not allowed to contain any ethanol according to the approval for use in airplanes.

So if you take gas now sold for cars that includes ethanol in it's composition to meet the standard, and we presume that standard is one that is approved for use in airplanes, and you remove the ethanol, what you have is a collection of chemicals that may or may not meet any standard to be called gas. Unless you have a very expensive distiller, and the ability to analyze what you have left, you have no idea.

So what is a better illegal act (idea). Using a known mix that meets a standard but has an illegal substance (ethanol) or a collection of chemicals that may or may not meet any standard and BTW you can't even guarantee is the same batch after batch.

For those who wonder, a popular way for the back yard MOGAS distiller to remove ethanol from MOGAS is to add water. Ethanol molecules are attracted to and attaches itself to the water molecules and then what is left which is presumed to be ethanol free (it is not), is drained off the top.

Would the collection chemicals remaining from MOGAS after ethanol is removed, burn in your airplane, car or lawn mower. Probably. I'd only put it in my lawn mower. I don't really want to cut my grass anyway.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Stewarts, a local gas station chain in upstate NY, sells ethanol-free 93 octaine at all of its stations, and all of the Cubs, Champs and Chiefs (and a C-150) on my field run on it. I stick with avgas though. Keep in mind, even ethanol-free mogas is not as stable as avgas. It gums up and varnishes if it sits for a while.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200