Two Position Landing Light Switch

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Two Position Landing Light Switch

Post by MoonlightVFR »

C 170B 1954.

I should know this but could not figure it out in daylight.

Two position Landing light switch.
Pull switch to the first detent pos. Which light comes on. Is it landing or taxi?

Pull switch full on to second detent. Both lights are on.

Is it ever possible to turn switch to Taxi light only?

Two lights installed in Left wing. Which one is taxi and which one is Landing? Cannot recall.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Two Position Landing Light Switch

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Landing light would be the one pointed farther out I'd think. Once you know this, you can answer your other question.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

According to the owners manual the first click is the taxi light (which as Bruce points out is aimed lower) and the second click is both lights. However you can set it up either way by readjusting your lights or swapping the wires on the lights.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I am trying to ascertain between landing and taxi light physical location in the left wing.

Working in daylight so I do not see the spot on beam location.

I suspect that the lamp closest to the wing tip is the taxi lamp. First detent position on switch. Original 1954 configuration with wires not being switched.

Am I correct?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Looking at the bulbs and the angle of the mounting frame, you should be able to see the difference in the aiming and determine which is which. But even in the bright day light, holding a piece of card board in front of the lit lamps a foot or so, you should be able to see which is aimed lower.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

MoonlightVFR wrote:I am trying to ascertain between landing and taxi light physical location in the left wing.

Working in daylight so I do not see the spot on beam location.

I suspect that the lamp closest to the wing tip is the taxi lamp. First detent position on switch. Original 1954 configuration with wires not being switched.

Am I correct?
Yes, if your plane is still wired as it was from the factory. A quick look at the wiring diagram confirms this.
Switch.jpg
Switch.jpg (18.1 KiB) Viewed 13271 times
Landing Light.jpg
Landing Light.jpg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 13271 times
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The taxi light is outboard...the landing light is inboard. In this fashion, the taxi light will illuminate more of the area directly in front of the aircraft. (The inboard lamp is slightly shielded by the leading edge from illuminating close-in, directly in front of the aircraft.)
The landing lamp is aimed farther out and has no difficulty in "spotting" along the center-line of the aircraft.
The actual measurements of aiming the lamps is found in the aircraft MX Library, and in the Electrical System Manual.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)