Members 170 blown over by jet

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bsdunek

Members 170 blown over by jet

Post by bsdunek »

Haven't seen this on the forum. Sad to lose a 170.
https://generalaviationnews.com/2017/06 ... jet-blast/
Sorry to hear this. Hector Brown is one of our members, although I can't remember meeting him.
Someone else must know him.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
GAHorn

Re: Members 170 blown over by jet

Post by GAHorn »

The NTSB report is at : https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.avia ... 1300&key=1

I'll never forget that as a Student Pilot on one of my first cross-country flights, my instructor insisted that at each stop I get the FSS or the Tower to sign my logbook. (This is a good idea for all flights made by prospective professionals... get a person in authority ..or even an FBO to endorse a log... it will lend credibility of your logs over that of other applicants for jobs.)

While in the tower at GGG (Gregg Co., Longview, TX) I watched a C-150 taxy up behind a Trans-Texas Airways Convair 600/640 who was directed to cross a taxiway... and the resulting blast lifted the C-150 about 5' into the air and set it/dribbled-it back down about 10' rearwards. The C-150 pilot wanted to blame TTA. 8O

While "wake turbulence" and thrust-blast should be controlled by pilots as much as practical, it's commonly held that if the following aircraft was in motion and not parked, that the following aircraft has the responsibility of avoiding wake.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

On one of my student cross countries I was going to Toledo Express. My instructor gave me a firm lecture about taxiing behind jets. The 747 had just come out, and, wouldn't you know it, there was one there. I gave it a HUGE berth! I don't think it was even running - just parked.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
N2625U

Post by N2625U »

Back in the 70's I was a USAF controller working at Kunsan, Korea. We had a C5 that had just started engines when a pickup parked behind the right wing about even with the tail at about a hundred feet back at a right angle to the engine thrust. When the C5 spooled up the engines for taxi the pickup rolled twice. It was a brand new truck that belonged to the base operations officer and he was not too happy with the Looie that was driving it.
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

That accident happened in 2015. The current owner is not the guy who owned the airplane at the time of the accident. The previous owner has since moved on to a 180.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Some time ago, a co- worker and myself were following out one of our DC 10 aircraft to the run-up area to balance an engine. Our Ford F150 was equipped with a radio but it couldn't transmit but we had a plan ( :D ) and briefed another one of our co- workers who was to taxi the plane, that we would follow him out to the run- up pad, by tucking ourselves under the tail as close to the fuselage as possible. All was working out well until the tower asked for the DC- 10 to expedite across a taxiway intersection. In the excitement, our co- worker on the controls forgot about us and gunned it. The plane launched forward exposing us to the the jet blast. We both ducked under the dash as the truck rocked side to side with the hood latch snapping resulting in the hood being perfectly wrapped around the cab. Once the truck stopped rocking we got out and climbed into the box and tried folding the hood back down. It took a bit of effort but after folding it forward and standing on it, then with both of us jumping up and down on the hood we managed to get semi latched and we continued out after the plane.
Of course all of this 'action" was in plain view of the departure lounges. Sometimes being stupid is fun and good thing no one got hurt. Luckily cell phones didn't have cameras then.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS