Dreaming of a 170...anyone in NY?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

iiAtlas

Dreaming of a 170...anyone in NY?

Post by iiAtlas »

Hello!

First time poster, short time lurker, don't hit me but I've just stumbled on the 170 in recent weeks and have a hankering it may be the bird for me. I began my search looking for tricycle gear 172's but could never pull the trigger, I think I now know why..I need to own something beautiful, awe inspiring, classic...yes that means conventional gear. I have 0.8 in a J3 Cub and absolutely hated the thing. Yeah yeah 0.8 is nothing I know, maybe she would've grown on me, but sitting in the back seat and seeing NOTHING out the front was not an inviting experience. I'm 5'9", not small but not a giant either. The back to back seating was no fun either. I BELIEVE the 170 answers my concerns in this regard. The side to side seating is a new found must for me, and the forward visibility seems much improved. Can anyone attest to that? Before I get ahead of myself, here is my mission.

1. I've got a ~220nm jump up to North Western Maine 4-5 times a year, maybe more if the plane and it's driver enjoy it. We'd load up two dogs in the back and one passenger. This should fit within the weight envelope for a 170.
2. I want to get my IFR rating done at some point, but don't plan on flying heavy IFR. I never NEED to be anywhere..can always wait a day or two to clear up, but would like the knowledge and ability.
3. Off airport experience - I have been bouncing my way to more and more grass strips up here in NY and it is just the business, I can't get enough.

I hope you all can confirm that on paper, the 170 seems to be a good fit. The IFR is down the road and in reality is not a must, but it would certainly help me get more bang for my buck. The biggest thing for me now is to see one of these old girls in person, and sit in it. Then I will know. How do I fit the 170?

Is there anyone in NY area (near 1B1) who would be willing to take me up? I will of course pay my share of gas, + lunch etc. Happy to travel or host anyone. Itching to see ones of these so I can either move on or move forward. I know of one for sale in West Hartford, I am hoping to see that soon. And one for fractional ownership outside Saratoga. Thanks all!!

PS I am also looking at 140's...yes I know this does not accomplish ANY of the above...but something about me still likes 'em :roll:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Dreaming of a 170...anyone in NY?

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Well, I thought you had pretty good judgement looking at a 170 until you said you hated the Cub. Anyone who hates a Cub just doesn't understand it. They are what they are, you might not fit in them and they may not fit your mission and darn near every other two seat tail dragger can out perform them and they are over priced. But you can't really hate them. They are a classic that is not for you.

Your assessment of the 170 is about spot on. Your 220 nm trip will be about 2.5 hrs. There are very few, if any tail draggers with the forward visibility of the 170.

I'd rather own a Cub than a 140. Oh yes that's why I own a Cub and not a 140. Not that a 140 is a bad little airplane. I don't hate them. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
iiAtlas

Post by iiAtlas »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Well, I thought you had pretty good judgement looking at a 170 until you said you hated the Cub. Anyone who hates a Cub just doesn't understand it. They are what they are, you might not fit in them and they may not fit your mission and darn near every other two seat tail dragger can out perform them and they are over priced. But you can't really hate them. They are a classic that is not for you.

Your assessment of the 170 is about spot on. Your 220 nm trip will be about 2.5 hrs. There are very few, if any tail draggers with the forward visibility of the 170.

I'd rather own a Cub than a 140. Oh yes that's why I own a Cub and not a 140. Not that a 140 is a bad little airplane. I don't hate them. :lol:
Bruce you know, you are absolutely right. I didn't give that old girl a chance. Am sure the blame is on me, we just weren't a match. Sorry to diss your baby! I will leave it in there so other forum members can slap me straight 8O

Thanks for confirming my beliefs. The forward visibility and my familiarity with Cessna's are the two kickers for me. And I think they're just darn gorgeous. Now to find one in NY..
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Call Bill at The 195 Factory at NY0, 518-882-6392. There used to be a nice blue and white 170 there that the owner was considering selling. It may already be gone.

If you are serious about buying a 170 looking only in NY will severely limit your options. A friend in Boston just bought a very nice one in Nevada after looking all across the country for many months. It all depends on what you are looking for.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
iiAtlas

Post by iiAtlas »

hilltop170 wrote:Call Bill at The 195 Factory at NY0, 518-882-6392. There used to be a nice blue and white 170 there that the owner was considering selling. It may already be gone.

If you are serious about buying a 170 looking only in NY will severely limit your options. A friend in Boston just bought a very nice one in Nevada after looking all across the country for many months. It all depends on what you are looking for.
Hey Hilltop thanks for the lead! I will give Bill a call. Not opposed to buying out of state just want to see one in person before I dive in head first.
rusbac

Post by rusbac »

Atlas,

I'm based at 1B9 (SE Massachusetts), only about 120 miles from you. I've flown out your direction several times. Send me a private message and let's see if our schedules match up. I'd be happy to show you mine.

Christine
Christine in Boston
N2481D - '52 170B
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

iiAtlas, fit shouldn't be a problem in a 170. There's plenty of room with lots of fore/aft seat adjustment. I'm 6'4" and i'm very comfortable. I dont even use the last rearward seat notch. I need to slide my seat up one notch.

I'm not too far from you in NY, at Argyle (1C3). Feel free to send me a PM as well. Between Christine and me, one of us can show you a 170 up close.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
iiAtlas

Post by iiAtlas »

rusbac wrote:Atlas,

I'm based at 1B9 (SE Massachusetts), only about 120 miles from you. I've flown out your direction several times. Send me a private message and let's see if our schedules match up. I'd be happy to show you mine.

Christine
gfeher wrote:iiAtlas, fit shouldn't be a problem in a 170. There's plenty of room with lots of fore/aft seat adjustment. I'm 6'4" and i'm very comfortable. I dont even use the last rearward seat notch. I need to slide my seat up one notch.

I'm not too far from you in NY, at Argyle (1C3). Feel free to send me a PM as well. Between Christine and me, one of us can show you a 170 up close.
Wow, thank you both kindly!! I will PM now. You all rock! :D
jwmcgu

Post by jwmcgu »

Atlas,
Draw on these individuals that have knowledge of the 170. You sound like a young intelligent individual. Be sure that when you do find the plane you want, that you rely on a person with knowledge and experience with that aircraft. I would encourage you to do these thinks while you are young. Wife says I'm getting too old to fly so mine is for sale:
http://www.aircraftforsale.com/aircraft/cessna-170b
Good luck,
John McGuire N2488D
rusbac

Post by rusbac »

I met and flew with Atlas yesterday, and he will make an excellent 170 owner!
Christine in Boston
N2481D - '52 170B
iiAtlas

Post by iiAtlas »

jwmcgu wrote:Atlas,
Draw on these individuals that have knowledge of the 170. You sound like a young intelligent individual. Be sure that when you do find the plane you want, that you rely on a person with knowledge and experience with that aircraft. I would encourage you to do these thinks while you are young. Wife says I'm getting too old to fly so mine is for sale:
http://www.aircraftforsale.com/aircraft/cessna-170b
Good luck,
John McGuire N2488D
Nice plane John! Thanks for sharing the listing..looks like a very well taken care of bird..I will add it to my list of contenders!
rusbac wrote:I met and flew with Atlas yesterday, and he will make an excellent 170 owner!
Christine, the pleasure was all mine!! Thank you so much for bringing your beautiful 170 out to me and fielding my 300+ questions...I couldn't believe you let me fly and taxi her too..that continental 6 cyl is smooth as butter!