Flying Shoes

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Flying Shoes

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Vendor recently purchased a new mfg WACO YMF that was wrecked, nose over in landing I believe. Over it went
Totaled. Salvage purchase. He rebuilt it, flys to Oshkosh.
Unfortunate original owner cited his over reliance on winter clothing in open cockpit Biplane especially the big big boots, shoes that he got tangled and led to flip over.. Fully insured no injuries.

I just had a shoe problem in C170B. First shoe problem ever, flying same A/C over forty years.

New ORVIS saddle oxfords navy blue/ivory. Foot repeatly caught toe under the heater vent, felt it snag hear metallic sound. AP closed the heater vents and suggested I try it barefooted. Took off shoe, problem gone.

I would like to purchase the small demi leather boot that airline Captains would be seen wearing in 1970s as they come down the airport concourse. Wrong Shoes could be a dangerous distraction.

Open to any suggestion except sandals.

Do you have a favorite flying shoe?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
flyboy122

Re: Flying Shoes

Post by flyboy122 »

Original old school Adidas Samba Classic indoor soccer shoes. Slim, snug fitting shoe doesn't get caught on things, and if it does you feel it instantly. Thin flexible sole with a minimum of cushion allows you to feel the pedals and brakes, and articulate them easily even with your toes, but enough tread that you can walk on a wet ramp without ending up on your rear, or hurt your feet on gravel or rocks. Black with white stripes mean they are reasonably good looking and appropriate in most non-professional situations. I used to use these when racing cars, and they worked good for that too.

Some people recommend racing shoes, but for my taste the soles are too thin outside the plane. Any puddles or rocks and you'll feel it. They tend to be a little flashy too. All that is ditto for wrestling shoes. A lot of the guys I raced with swore by skateboarding shoes for their flexibility and feel. They would probably work good in the airplane too, though they tend to be a little clunkier.

I try to make a point to fly in different shoes so that I don't get pigeon holed into not flying sometime because I don't right shoes or something like that. The shoe helps, but it's the person wearing them that matters. However I really do like flying with the Sambas.

DEM
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

These caught my eye. May have to look at switching my slip ones, Avia tennis shoes and my go to winter choice - hiking boots!

https://www.onlinepresales.com/products ... UTM=WC+Pur
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Thank you for the recommendation. Black Samba Classic I am doing.

I googled and understand this shoe has a strong customer base.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I finally figured out what happened to start this saga about shoes.

Was taking a nap in easy chair still dressed suit/tie. Someone drops by and said let go to airport.

Removed coat and tie, failed to take time to change shoes. This minor laxity cost me in many ways.

Many thanks for the Adidas Samba Classic recommendation. That new shoe and a Clarks Sirtis Mix are now my go to shoes for flying.

It turns out the Saddle Oxfords I have been wearing occasionally for 5 years are 1.75" longer than the Samba classic.
I wear a 9.5 size, the Saddle Oxfords were a size 11!

Clown Shoes like Ringling Barnum Circus. Just does not work, clown shoes in cockpit.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

I wear size 9.5 Sambas (and I'm 6'2"....go figure!), and can confirm they don't catch on anything.

DEM
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

I wear size 13, from random tennys to clod-hopper boots, and have never had any shoe-related issues while flying a 170.......
Ragwing S/N 18073
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

sfarringer wrote:I wear size 13, from random tennys to clod-hopper boots, and have never had any shoe-related issues while flying a 170.......
I need ankle support to get through the day. I wear these 365 days a year. 50+ hours of flying in this particular pair with no issues. Of course, I tie them before mounting up the in the airplane... :wink: (This photo was taken after a 10,000+ step day at Oshkosh last year.)
IMG_1329.JPG
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

Kyle Wolfe wrote:These caught my eye. May have to look at switching my slip ones, Avia tennis shoes and my go to winter choice - hiking boots!

https://www.onlinepresales.com/products ... UTM=WC+Pur
Well, those gotta be good! Look like you could fly IFR with them.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

New Balance Walking Shoes, MW577VK in black. Velcro instead of laces. Made in 'MERICA!
online ordering from Amazon delivered in 3 days.

Another story about shoes while flying: Learjet crash and killed everyone because the pilot wore cowboy boots with working heels. Heel got jammed below rudder between rudder and floor preventing rudder movement. Copilot (unaware of other pilot's jammed boot-heel) attempts to force necessary rudder movement with increased rudder pressure made the jam worse. The aircraft rolled and crashed.

Wearing synthetic clothing is also a bad idea. Static can set off sparks while refueling, and a cockpit fire melts the clothing to the body, and a crash in cold conditions may not help keep you warm.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

The real issue here is whether you wear red or green shoes....red ones definately enhances aircraft performance... :lol:
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Oh no! George is officially 'an ol guy' who now wears Velcro shoes! :lol:
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Kyle Wolfe wrote:Oh no! George is officially 'an ol guy' who now wears Velcro shoes! :lol:
:lol:
Yep.... Velcro lessens the time spent crunching the "successful look" six-pack-abdomen I've acquired!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

When i've seen your cooler George, it had way more than a six pack in it :evil: (Thank goodness).
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

I fly the 170 and the Stearman wearing Converse Chuck Taylors.....always have. Great feel and support. Plus, will stay on if you need to get out of the plane fast...

Just my 2 cents ;)
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)